CYA dot test

jonlee

May 9, 2019
Memphis
Just curious when I'm doing the cya test the dot will disappear and then I stop and it's like the sample settles and I can see it again, so I keep going till I cant see it no matter. Is that the correct way to do this test or at first loss of sight do I say that's my number? FYI it first disappears at 80 then i wait a second see it again and keep dropping any it's completely gone just below 70. My chlorine is at 8, PH 7.8 and TA test turned purple at 7 drops and pink at 8.

I struggle with cya too. Assuming you followed instructions to the letter? Doesnt hurt to read again to be sure.

It helps me to hold tube up, fill to 40, then lower tube waist high, with back to the sun fingers on top and glance at it. Dont stare or you will see for sure. Raise up, fill to next line, lower again, etc.
You can dump back in mixing bottle and do again too. (Shake again) I usually do it 3 times or more if I am struggling or unexpected result, until I have consistent reading.

You can buy a standard solution, (Known labeled cya level) to check yourself on.

Good luck! ?

Reactions: mickey4paws
I don't know how the TF-100 CYA test works, but the Blue Devil/Pentair kits work by pouring in your sample then your reagent, using the built in dip stick to mix, then letting it sit for 2 minutes. Then you slowly lift the dipstick until you just can see the dot, and read your CYA from the stick. I haven't had any trouble with this test at all.

Maybe you should try this method instead of the TF-100 method. Both Blue Devil and Pentair kits are on Amazon for around $20, with reagent refills too.

Reactions: jmikeb
There is NO difference in the methods (TF-100 or Blue Devil).....just a different way of looking at the black dot.

Reading this test is subjective but the good news is being deadly accurate is neither critical or possible.

Plus or minus 10 ppm is as good as it gets and as good as you need to be.

When you see the dot as "gone" then it's gone. Re-pour the sample mixture out from the view tube and then back in repeating the test using the same reagent......again, when it's "gone" it's gone.

Repeat this test 3-4 times and take an average of your results

The only difference using the Blue Devil kit is you will no longer have twenty bucks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.