CYA Anxiety

Quant

Apr 9, 2018
Gilbert, AZ
I am able to reproduce CYA tests with consistency but still not comfortable with how to read it.

I noticed that the black dot fades and then starts to flicker out as you add the solution. At first, as the turbulence from the added solution settles it comes instantly right back into view, but gradually it takes a few 10ths of a second longer to come back after added solution until finally it does not come back at all--even after 2-3 seconds. The difference between reading the level at the first disappearance and the dot staying gone is quite large--even up to 20ppm.

So I watched a bunch of videos on Youtube and this was kind of fun. It actually made me more confident as about half the videos where from pool 'professionals' that I could tell had no idea what they where doing--yikes. Even those that appeared competent addressed this inconsistently --eg read it at first twinkle or permanent disappearance.

I even called Taylor's tech line (I have one of their test kits in addition to my T-100 kit) and they said I should make the reading at first disappearance regardless how quickly it comes back.

But then there is this thing:

Pentair-R151226

Which is available for about $30 and looks like an interesting way to be consistent with the test, and use a lot solution in the process. Moving the dot in the cylinder implies you make the reading at total obscurity of the date as you won't have the kinetic effect that twinkles the black dot out when adding more solution. I don't feel like this tool is necessary, but 15-20 ppm between approaches is a lot.

What say you guys? Can you ease my CYA anxiety?

I just fill to a line, glance, and if I see dot, fill to the next line and glance. I don’t look at it any longer than that!

Relax, it will get easier

Many find it helpful to do it this way-

Mix your solution

Pour the solution into the tube to the bottom line (30 or 20, depending on the tube)

Glance into the tube, don’t stare. If you saw the dot, continue

Pour solution to the next line

Pour solution to,the next line

Keep,this up until the dot isn’t there.

Staring down into the tube as you pour causes a lot of people to think they see the dot longer than it is really there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.