CYA and PH?

Jul 4, 2018
Toronto, ON
Hi all,

I set up my pool on Tuesday, filled it up and added the required CYA per pool math (8000 litres calls for 360g for a CYA of 45). At the same time I added the required bleach to get the chlorine level from 0 to 6. All is well, the water is clear (even after a big rain storm today) and I'm feeling quietly confident about being able to keep things under control this year.

Anyway, my question is this - with all that CYA in there, why hasn't it thrown my PH way off? I tested PH with my K-1004 today and it's around 7.3/7.4 which surprised me given I'd added the CYA. Did the bleach balance the acid out, or was it such a small amount that it wouldn't impact my PH?

Cheers,

Bic

Bic, CYA (stabilizer) is slightly acidic and has little effect on lowering the pH. Muriatic acid on the other hand does. Chlorine has little effect on pH unless it gets over an FC of 10, Then it starts to skew the pH and make it read higher until the FC falls back down to 10 or below.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.