Cutting Larger Intake & Return holes in your Intex

So happy!! Today I enlarged my pool intake and return holes to install the larger Intex fittings for my sand filter and salt water chlorinator. Followed your directions and it worked beautifully! No leaks! The amount of water circulation is much improved. The adaptors that I tried kept "sucking air". No air in the hoses now!! Thanks for your information and encouragement!!

Fantastic!!! Followed to a T and mission accomplished. I set up a 5 gallon bucket to sit on while I cut holes, even put up an umbrella to protect from heat. Wanted no distractions. Now that I have plunger valves installed, I'm wondering how I hook up 1 1/4 vacuum hose to it for when I need to clean the pool. As anyone knows that has these plunger valves, there are two different size threaded male ends that make up inside pool liner portion of valve. Is there a part that screws onto it so I can slip my vacuum head over that part?

Re: Cutting Larger Intake & Return holes in your Intex

Thank you for the great tutorial, I want to add a second return on mine, this helps, where I will install the return it won't have the reinforced area, I will double the gasket area. hope it works.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the great tutorial, I want to add a second return on mine, this helps, where I will install the return it won't have the reinforced area, I will double the gasket area. hope it works.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey guys,

Like many of you I upgraded my dinky cartridge filter/pump to larger sand filter/pump. I tried using the original intake and return hole with that awful "squeeze" adapter that has the plunger valves hanging out all floppy, very restrictive and not solid. So I bit the bullet and cut me some larger holes and took pics while I was at it, hope this helps those of you who are nervous about it...

Big difference in flow:

Stuff you need:

Sharpie, X-acto knife, Plunger valve, Intake & Returns that came with the new pump along with the gasket that came with each one.

These have to go!

Use the Gasket to trace the inside circle around the old hole, you'll still be inside the reinforced area:

Here is where you need to just cut slowly, make sure you cut exactly outside the sharpie line. I used my other hand to stabilized my cutting hand so i couldn't "slip". If at anytime you feel sketchy or your putting to much pressure to cut, just stop and relax then start again. Cut in a way that feels comfortable, I cut in small sections and repositioned as needed. Remember too small of a hole and you'll wrinkle the liner when you tighten and have leaks, too big and you'll have leakage as well, stay right outside that sharpie line and you'll be fine, you've got this!

Insert the head part with the gasket on the inside of the pool:

Center the threads:

Screw on the threaded nut and hand tighten while pressing out from the inside of the pool:

Screw on the return nozzle or strainer to the head base:

Next carefully thread on your plunger valve and hand tighten. Also tighten the dark grey cap under the shut off of the plunger valve, as mine was slightly loose out of the box:

Now do the same on the other side, then fill the pool and check for leaks. Tighten up things more if needed and you'll have solid, free flowing intake and returns for your new awesome pump!

Fantastic!!! Great job!! Thank you so much for the tutorial, this will help me a lot for when I need to up grade to a bigger pump. Great step by step pictures!

Re: Cutting Larger Intake & Return holes in your Intex

thanks for this...we are going to replace our skimmer with an inwall on and this will help!

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for this...we are going to replace our skimmer with an inwall on and this will help!

Well, dang it. My sand pump/SWG didn't come with those intakes and returns. :mad:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.