Cutting Larger Intake & Return holes in your Intex

Re: Cutting Larger Intake & Return holes in your Intex

Intex Large Strainer Replacement Part Inclduing Washer and Nut | 11236 Intex Intex Large Strainer Replacement Part Inclduing Washer and Nut | 11236 - - Amazon.com

They have a return eyeball as well, but it sucks. Get a Hayward one instead.

Yeah i was going to use the return eyeball that i think comes with the hayward wide mouth kit (also requiring to cut the return or make a new one i forget, unsure)

Re: Cutting Larger Intake & Return holes in your Intex

Thank you for the great tutorial, I want to add a second return on mine, this helps, where I will install the return it won't have the reinforced area, I will double the gasket area. hope it works.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the great tutorial, I want to add a second return on mine, this helps, where I will install the return it won't have the reinforced area, I will double the gasket area. hope it works.

I've heard no mention of EASY SET Pools, is this a problem for them?

Great thread, thanks everyone for the info. Some specific questions for my purposes.
I also want to add a second intake on my EASY SET Pool where the hose hook up is bc it is also reinforced. The idea is to add a second filter bc I have extras everywhere.. This would then get split to the return on the pool which would give me twice the filtration in theory?? I'm just larning but this little pool was alot of trial and error and I think the more fo\iltration with what I have is the way to go instead of spending more money on a Sand Filter.

What is BEST WAY to split the return if using 1.5" hoses from Intex Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump 2500? Union from Home Depot? Intex version only? Etc??? (this is assuming my cuts were without leaks)

My intention is to practice on the 8' Easy Set pool I just drained yesterday and have drying out in the yard (turned it inside out and hung it over chairs and tables as open as I can), going to place a bucket under area I am going to be cutting and then fill with water over new Larger inlet and see if there are any leaks. If this works I will try on 2 other inlets and then ultimately on the new 12' ESP. I'm aware that 2 of those filters are probably overkill but I already have them, so WHY NOT?

Any advise is greatly appreciated. I have watched a few YOUTUBE vids and really hope I can pull it off w/o any issues. I have tons of extra peices from all the previous pumps, sprayers, etc that I have ordered; really hope I have what I need. Have had numerous cartridge filter sizes from 500gph - 2500gph now.

Hey guys,

Like many of you I upgraded my dinky cartridge filter/pump to larger sand filter/pump. I tried using the original intake and return hole with that awful "squeeze" adapter that has the plunger valves hanging out all floppy, very restrictive and not solid. So I bit the bullet and cut me some larger holes and took pics while I was at it, hope this helps those of you who are nervous about it...

Big difference in flow:

Stuff you need:

Sharpie, X-acto knife, Plunger valve, Intake & Returns that came with the new pump along with the gasket that came with each one.

These have to go!

Use the Gasket to trace the inside circle around the old hole, you'll still be inside the reinforced area:

Here is where you need to just cut slowly, make sure you cut exactly outside the sharpie line. I used my other hand to stabilized my cutting hand so i couldn't "slip". If at anytime you feel sketchy or your putting to much pressure to cut, just stop and relax then start again. Cut in a way that feels comfortable, I cut in small sections and repositioned as needed. Remember too small of a hole and you'll wrinkle the liner when you tighten and have leaks, too big and you'll have leakage as well, stay right outside that sharpie line and you'll be fine, you've got this!

Insert the head part with the gasket on the inside of the pool:

Center the threads:

Screw on the threaded nut and hand tighten while pressing out from the inside of the pool:

Screw on the return nozzle or strainer to the head base:

Next carefully thread on your plunger valve and hand tighten. Also tighten the dark grey cap under the shut off of the plunger valve, as mine was slightly loose out of the box:

Now do the same on the other side, then fill the pool and check for leaks. Tighten up things more if needed and you'll have solid, free flowing intake and returns for your new awesome pump!
Would it be possible to see these photos again? We have a new sand filter and I'm considering to cut bigger holes instead of using the adapters to connect to my current hoses.

Looks like the OP hasn't been on here in several years. When we upgraded from the Intex sand filter to a Hayward, we just hard plumbed everything and set up 2 returns with Hayward return eyeballs. No problems except when vacuuming but it seems I am drawing air at a joint somewhere. The Hayward return eyes were actually a little loose in the original intex holes but if you lube the rubber gaskets with some liquid soap, they will tighten nicely and not leak. I'm pretty sure the return eyes came with our through the wall skimmer.

I didn't order any extra parts. Just what came with the sand filter. They include two "B" adapters which you can use to attach the 1 1/2" hoses that come with the sand filter to the 1 1/4" fittings on the smaller Intex pools. I ran like this for about 3 days before deciding to cut the old fittings out and use the larger fittings that came with the sand filter, as shown in the OP's photos. I'm glad I did.

I did not hard plumb anything and have no plans to do so.
Is there a substantial difference in flow using the 1.5” fittings vs using the B adapters that adapt 1.5” hoses to the factory 1.25” fittings?

Hey guys,

Like many of you I upgraded my dinky cartridge filter/pump to larger sand filter/pump. I tried using the original intake and return hole with that awful "squeeze" adapter that has the plunger valves hanging out all floppy, very restrictive and not solid. So I bit the bullet and cut me some larger holes and took pics while I was at it, hope this helps those of you who are nervous about it...

Big difference in flow:

Stuff you need:

Sharpie, X-acto knife, Plunger valve, Intake & Returns that came with the new pump along with the gasket that came with each one.

These have to go!

Use the Gasket to trace the inside circle around the old hole, you'll still be inside the reinforced area:

Here is where you need to just cut slowly, make sure you cut exactly outside the sharpie line. I used my other hand to stabilized my cutting hand so i couldn't "slip". If at anytime you feel sketchy or your putting to much pressure to cut, just stop and relax then start again. Cut in a way that feels comfortable, I cut in small sections and repositioned as needed. Remember too small of a hole and you'll wrinkle the liner when you tighten and have leaks, too big and you'll have leakage as well, stay right outside that sharpie line and you'll be fine, you've got this!

Insert the head part with the gasket on the inside of the pool:

Center the threads:

Screw on the threaded nut and hand tighten while pressing out from the inside of the pool:

Screw on the return nozzle or strainer to the head base:

Next carefully thread on your plunger valve and hand tighten. Also tighten the dark grey cap under the shut off of the plunger valve, as mine was slightly loose out of the box:

Now do the same on the other side, then fill the pool and check for leaks. Tighten up things more if needed and you'll have solid, free flowing intake and returns for your new awesome pump!
All images have been removed. I need images to follow the instructions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a good tutorial, but you can eliminate splitting the gasket in half by simply draining a few inches to just below the bottom of the hole for the skimmer. This eliminates the possibility of messing up the gasket.

I put a couple of pics of this in my old AGP build thread: Dimension at the ground for Intex 16' Ultra frame pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.