Cutting Concrete for new IG build

Jun 30, 2018
Sacramento, CA
Hi everyone! I will start my IG Build soon but have some questions about concrete. I want my concrete sawed off where the red arrow is (just the lip part) but my contractor said concrete can be unpredictable and if I saw that part off I risk the existing concrete cracking. He said he has had issues in the past and would rather create something around the existing or tear it all out and poor new concrete. Pouring new concrete just isn’t an option because it would add a substantial amount that I am not willing to pay. Has anyone had experience with sawing existing concrete and it cracking or not cracking? Here is a pic of my yard for reference.
d95bb82671283bf15e4dc8ce5d4f8364.png

They are going to have to put some kind of decking around the pool, are you going with pavers or concrete?

I am not sure why he would not cut it, people cut concrete slabs all the time. I suppose there may be some risk that it could allow further settling or something.

The real trick is going to be getting the existing deck to mate up will with the pool surround and not look pieced together.

I can understand what he is saying.. I don't want to do a DIY project or just half axe something... that I would have to warranty or promise it wont crack or fail.

But if you want to have it cut---- have a pro do it with the proper cut off saw and a nice not 10 year old diamond blade. If its going to fail or crack it will do it whether you
cut it or not. Not sure how old the deck is or how it was constructed ie. how thick, what kind of base materials and if there is steel mesh under the slab or fiberglass used in the
pour.. but you are not cutting much if anything that is structural.

So if you want to cut it -- have it done and take responsibility if it cracks or fails. YOU Will end up with a sharp edge after cutting and it will need to be ground down.

Just curious ? Why do you want to cut it and how is the new pool and decking going to fit in?

They are going to have to put some kind of decking around the pool, are you going with pavers or concrete?

I am not sure why he would not cut it, people cut concrete slabs all the time. I suppose there may be some risk that it could allow further settling or something.

The real trick is going to be getting the existing deck to mate up will with the pool surround and not look pieced together.

I’m going with concrete. I agree with the getting it to match up without it looking patchy. I’m just so unsure since I know nothing about concrete and construction in general and I’m having a hard time visualizing what it may look like. He’s very old school so no fancy pool software so I can see what it may look like but he has a great reputation which is why I chose him

I can understand what he is saying.. I don't want to do a DIY project or just half axe something... that I would have to warranty or promise it wont crack or fail.

But if you want to have it cut---- have a pro do it with the proper cut off saw and a nice not 10 year old diamond blade. If its going to fail or crack it will do it whether you
cut it or not. Not sure how old the deck is or how it was constructed ie. how thick, what kind of base materials and if there is steel mesh under the slab or fiberglass used in the
pour.. but you are not cutting much if anything that is structural.

So if you want to cut it -- have it done and take responsibility if it cracks or fails. YOU Will end up with a sharp edge after cutting and it will need to be ground down.

Just curious ? Why do you want to cut it and how is the new pool and decking going to fit in?

The existing concrete is about 14 years old. I’m not sure of the technical details. I feel I am leaning towards getting it cut and taking responsibility if it fails even though he is advising against it. Another pool builder I ended up not going with drew this up and I really like the way it fits in my yard. The part I want cut off would partially be part of the deep end and I would want new concrete poured around it. Hope that makes sense....
0121309473943dd2c9332d91af939b51.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.