Custom PVC Pipe Adapter for Intex Pools

Chuck,

Can I ask your source for the 1.5" hose? I was thinking of using some braided hose from Lowe's, but it is a bit pricey. I do want to get away from the proprietary Intex stuff. I am finding it more and more annoying. It works well, but the hoses are too long and I would like to cut them to length. I figure there will be less loss of flow that way and they won't be in the way, either.

I like your setup!!

Thanks!

Chuck,

Thanks so much! There is one nearby. I'll probably grab some this weekend. The three foot one would be just about right for one run. I like having some hose in the line as my son and friends can really make the walls move and I worry about everything being rigid.

Thomas

A few things I have learn in applying some of the ideas in this thread.

1. The electrical conduit adapeter works great.
2. it is easier to just switch to 1 1/2 in jets, - I did mine with the pool full, just using freezer bags to cover the opening as I slid out the old & in with the new 1 1/2 inch jet into the slightly larger Intex holes. I did drop the water level to add a new jet near the up wind side of the pool & just followed the hayward instructions. I dumped the Intx valves after one broke after winter storage, it is nice to have just standard 1 1/2" so repalcements can be found anywhere.
3. the Hayward skimmer does not seem to skim as well as the intex floating skimmer. Last night I hooked up the Intex skimmer to the hayward inwall skimmer with the hayward cleaning attachment, I might just use tat cofiguration & remove the intex while swimming.
3a. I used the hayward frame to mark the holes for the inwall skimmer, I think I could be 1/4 inch higher if I had used the gasket for marking. I had to drop the pool level 2 to 3 inches below normal level to have the hayward work at all. It just seems the junk, leaves et all just float around in the top of the hayward skimmer. I have the larger 2650 Intex pump running thru a 4 X 20 solar heater, that seems to be plenty for volume. All plumbed with X 3 insolated 2" piping -(2 1/8" foam, 6" X 2 each roof eve tape, covered with 4" drain pipe, and wraped in plastic & buried 1 foot deep - with a french drain under the piping.)
3b. If I had bigger ____, I would install the skimmer up in the white seam material sanding down the rib area around the gasket to get the Hayward higher in the pool. I have a 12' X 24' Ultra Farme. 52".
4. I used a hose picked up at "Tractor Supply" 20 feet for 25 & a combination of both PVC & hose - I think there needs to be some flex in the system too prvent brakage with the kids hanging off of things.

Cheers, Bob
Caldwell TX

jsf0656 said:
well i finally hard plumbed the pool and sand filter using the E950HG adapters from home depot. it worked out great! minor modification, NO LEAKS! heres the pics.........[attachment=2:uyp5kh0h]19607.jpg[/attachment:uyp5kh0h][attachment=1:uyp5kh0h]49653.jpg[/attachment:uyp5kh0h][attachment=0:uyp5kh0h]63701.jpg[/attachment:uyp5kh0h]
hi , im new what kind of adapter you used for the 2 pipes coming out from the pool wall?

"hi , im new what kind of adapter you used for the 2 pipes coming out from the pool wall?"

I used 2 inch PVC from the hayward filter to the nearest part of the pump suction, then reduced to a 1 1/2" king nipple & ran hose to the suction with the intex adapted spliced in. I set my skimmer/filter on the down wind side so the wind naturally blows leaf's to the skimmer. I used 2 inch valve & some 2 inch couplers to make intall & removal easier and give some flex. So I am pulling from about 12 feet, rather than the 6 foot orginal set up.

I used the old suction hole as a jet hole, so I have 3 jets, but just use the 2 on the up wind side normally, getting full pool 24' circulation.

I bought my small hayward skimmer online, I put mine on the down wind side of the pool & ran 2" PVC back to the pump suction, reducing to 1 1/2 inch king nipple to go back a short hose connection. The skimmer came with a small eyeball jet, I added that to the up wind side to get full pool circulation.

Alright, I have been reading & reading today, and I have a question (or some maybe). We don't have our pool up yet, but we are planning to do the thru-wall skimmer mod. I have a 18x48 ultra frame pool, the 2650 sand filter (which is coming on Wednesday) and then the SWG. So here is my question, we feel pretty comfortable doing the cutting of the liner to put the skimmer in & I think that the boyfriend can figure out what we are going to need just by reading this thread & looking at the pictures (although a majority of them don't show up, just the text image) but my question, which I haven't found a clear cut answer for...What do you do with the old hole from where the hose would attach to that silly over the side skimmer basket?

Looking at the pictures and reading the descriptions, I didn't really see any definitive answers on that. Oh, and when finding the spot for the new thru-wall skimmer, is there any rule of thumb on the placement of it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I found the grey PVC 1-1/2" [electrical] box adapters at my local Lowes (HD didn't stock 'em). I sanded off the brand letters and they appear to be a perfect fit to connect the stock Intex connections to regular 1-1/2" PVC. My question is, is it necessary to put a thin layer of silicon RTV on the flat surface of the box adapter (where the brand letters used to be) for a leak-free connection?

lawfirmgwc said:
I found the grey PVC 1-1/2" [electrical] box adapters at my local Lowes (HD didn't stock 'em). I sanded off the brand letters and they appear to be a perfect fit to connect the stock Intex connections to regular 1-1/2" PVC. My question is, is it necessary to put a thin layer of silicon RTV on the flat surface of the box adapter (where the brand letters used to be) for a leak-free connection?
I didn't put anything there and they sealed great for me. The o-ring that is on the other side of the connection does the sealing.

Like your setup. I have an Intex 18' X 52" pool with the SWG and I am interested in installing the pvc pipe like yours. Is there a post or do you have directions that can be easily followed. A video would be great. Anyway, if you could steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Rªzª said:
Here's the plumbing I did on my pool. Having the valves right there makes it much easier to clean the filters or the plates in the saltwater system. I decided to stick with the 1-1/4 pipe. For my system there's more than enough flow with that size.

pvc_1.JPG

pvc_2.JPG

pvc_3.JPG

Hi, I'm new here. I have a 20' x 48" intex ultra frame pool. When you add the threw the wall skimmer how would you go about taking the pool down and storing it for the winter? I live in Mass and leaving the pool up is not the best option for me. Thank you for any input!

Any chance we could get a re-post of this with links to the current pictures, rather than the dead non-existent ones? Does anyone anywhere manufacture adapters to attach the non-standard Intex Crud to real plumbing?

You need to go to Lowes (not stocked at Home Depot) and get a 1-1/2" grey PVC electrical box adapter (or actually 4-6 of them depending on how many places you have to make the conversion). You also have to re-use the Intex screw on pieces. There is a thread on this site that shows how it works, but basically you put the Intex piece that you salvaged over the electrical box adapter and then connect it to your 1-1/2" PVC with a 1-1/2" PVC joint or 90 or 45 or whatever makes sense for your application. The process was pretty smooth. The only issues I had were making sure the little black rubber gaskets stayed in place. If they don't, you may have leaks. Hope that helps.

lawfirmgwc said:
You need to go to Lowes (not stocked at Home Depot) and get a 1-1/2" grey PVC electrical box adapter (or actually 4-6 of them depending on how many places you have to make the conversion). You also have to re-use the Intex screw on pieces. There is a thread on this site that shows how it works, but basically you put the Intex piece that you salvaged over the electrical box adapter and then connect it to your 1-1/2" PVC with a 1-1/2" PVC joint or 90 or 45 or whatever makes sense for your application. The process was pretty smooth. The only issues I had were making sure the little black rubber gaskets stayed in place. If they don't, you may have leaks. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.