Current Sensing Relay for SWG

kroe

Mar 18, 2017
Wallingford CT
There are lots of scattered experiences throughout this forum regarding current sensing relays to trigger the SWG's power source based on current flow to the pump. There is not a clear solution though - "buy this, hook it up like that".

This thread is an attempt to get a direct answer to the question: "I have a variable speed pump and want my SWG to turn on when my pump does."

(mixed motives here... I need a current sensing relay and want an answer for my setup, but also see a gap in information that this forum could benefit from so trying to make this more generic than my personal question).

Example Setup (shouldn't matter much):

• Pentair 011018
  • Circupool SJ-55
  • 240v feed from basement sub-panel to junction box at pool pad

Questions

• What current sensing relay would work well? Where can it be bought?
  • Where to mount the current sensing relay? In my case it needs to go either in my existing junction box (if small) or in a peripheral box. Some have sub-panels at the pad, and normally you don't mount things or splice in a panel. What's the right way to do this? Pictures?

Simpler is better, smaller is better. Don't want alternate sources of power, additional relays, etc.

I will buy what this thread converges on and report results with photos.

Thanks!

I didn't read the link, but did they use a current transducer and a regular ice cube relay? That's how I would do it.

Another way is to use a digital timer like this to control the SWG. The used one is about $10.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039Q7K1E
The timer is battery backuped, so it should be synced with the pump's clock even there is a short time power outage.

Reactions: Cwiggs
That's a good price, but I would want something more fool proof. I have my swg tied in with my pump timer, so I don't have any problem there. I do need to find an off delay relay to use for my booster pump though. I tried using two 90 minute off delayed relays last year and it didn't control like I thought it would.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hoping to find a "single box" solution that doesn't require an external relay.

any updates? I am looking to install a Hayward AquaRite with a currently installed Hayward SP2602VSP. The VSP is running 24/7 on its lowest speed without any external timer box. Information on successfully the AquaRite with a VSP is very thin and non specific. Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
Dave

South Florida

[h=1][/h]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.