Current plumbing pictures, need suggestions on re-plumbing

For some reason I was under the impression that I should be converting the plumbing over to rigid type pvc, I hate the way it all droops, but the guy at the pool store told me that no one does that type of plumbing in rigid and it makes leaks harder to repair, what do you guys think, you agree?

Does it still make sense to go to 2" when using reducers after pump and filter? And the actual plumbing that is buried around the pool is all 1.5 from what the pool store tells me.

For some reason I was under the impression that I should be converting the plumbing over to rigid type pvc, I hate the way it all droops, but the guy at the pool store told me that no one does that type of plumbing in rigid and it makes leaks harder to repair, what do you guys think, you agree?

Does it still make sense to go to 2" when using reducers after pump and filter? And the actual plumbing that is buried around the pool is all 1.5 from what the pool store tells me.

My plumbing pictures are in the first post, could it be because in harsh Canadian winters, rigid pvc is not done above ground because it could crack in winter? Or not practical for my plumbing application?

I am not sure it matters much in your application. I would not put flex out in the sun, but since yours is inside likely fine either way.

Okay, so I guess I'm just over thinking it. The tech I did find said he would at least improve the install with quick disconnects.

Given my short runs that you see, would you even bother changing out for 2" flex to replace what I have there, which is 1.5.

I wish I had seen this sooner. On the topic of your system leaking out of the top of the filter... You should have at least tried only replacing the o-ring that seals the multiport inside the filter. They are known to go out every few years depending on several factors. It may have been a $15 o-ring fix rather than a new multiport.

I'm currently replumbing my system and going with as much rigid PVC as I can while linking into some existing flexible PVC. My system is outdoors so rigid is where it's at. Some of the plumbing that leads underground on my system is flexible which makes me nervous for the long term. Indoors... it's up to you. Flexible PVC has higher levels of plasticizers to keep it flexible. It breaks down more quickly in sunlight and when underground, some insects including termites don't mind munching holes in it. At least in my climate zone there are very few termites.

I wish I had seen this sooner. On the topic of your system leaking out of the top of the filter... You should have at least tried only replacing the o-ring that seals the multiport inside the filter. They are known to go out every few years depending on several factors. It may have been a $15 o-ring fix rather than a new multiport.

I'm currently replumbing my system and going with as much rigid PVC as I can while linking into some existing flexible PVC. My system is outdoors so rigid is where it's at. Some of the plumbing that leads underground on my system is flexible which makes me nervous for the long term. Indoors... it's up to you. Flexible PVC has higher levels of plasticizers to keep it flexible. It breaks down more quickly in sunlight and when underground, some insects including termites don't mind munching holes in it. At least in my climate zone there are very few termites.

It's not just a leak from the top of the filter, it shoots out with a great amount of pressure, and towards the ceiling.

Ahh. I didn't know it was a geyser. I was picturing a more moderate, horizontal leak/spray.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hi,

So the tech I had out opened my sand filter and said the problems were related to all the pollen that was in the filter and he showed me how clumped up that sand was. He said once that happens, no amount of recirculation or back washing can get it out.

I haven't had a Re-occurrence yet but it's to early to tell, I haven't really used the system.

At one point in the season there is a crazy amount of pollen in the pool, not sure how to re-avoid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How long has it been since the sand bed was last cleaned?

Define cleaned. In the past 5 years, it's the first time the filter has been opened for anything at all.

I had the tech update my plumbing, so I have quick disconnects now and I can easily remove the multi valve head if I need to get to the sand.

Is there some sort of regular maintenance I should be doing, is so, what and how often?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.