Critique my Closing Plan

I have the same setup with tiles on my steps , not as many as water line , but I have a couple of each step turned in a diamond shape. I have never worried about them and only drain water below the returns. This would leave them submerged and never had a problem

So I have one final question I think. My filter isn't a Hayward, it just looks like it. It's a Sylvan with no name. 48 square foot DE, not much else written. No drain plug on the unit itself that I can find, but there is a screw in 1.5 inch fitting on the lowest point of the inlet and when I removed that tons of water came out. I'm pretty sure the filter is mostly drained but since I couldn't find a plug on the unit itself I'm not 100% sure there's absolutely no water in it.

I attached a picture. Is this my only filter drain? I removed the plug from the lower right side.
088ec7c121c0e5bb1a8ed7277f2ac5c5.jpg

So, not tomorrow. Checked under the cover today. Lots of worms and stuff, pretty dirty, bit of a ring it looks like. Water is about 4 inches higher than when we closed I think. Not sure we got that much rain, but it's in a good place for the tile on the steps so I'll leave it for now.

Not sure I love the mesh cover so far, I think I'd prefer a cleaner pool and a pump in the middle, but whatever.

Here are a few pictures of the pool house.

50bf99a5c1105a4c517a0a86274b4f4b.jpg
aff4c9d030435b0c8378f14d6ef52d19.jpg
8231a8b33764403342b84c089a043ddb.jpg

Looks Good! Did you manage to drain the water out of the filter and winterize everything?
I sure hope so. It was 17 here the other night. I drained the filter from the pipe end labeled drain, blew out all the pipes with the shop vac except the main drain I used the air compressor. Hopefully I got enough air in there and the valves hold the pressure. There's been a bit of water in the skimmers so the gizzmos look like they're sealing.

The few nights of real cold weather (we were like 25) did not freeze any water on the pool cover, so I doubt the filter, etc. had any frozen standing water. You will be fine, especially indoors. Good luck and enjoy the winter. Hopefully your snow blowers are ready to go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool house isn't heated or insulated, although I have briefly considered putting in a little electric heater set to 35 or something just so I didn't have to worry about the chemicals or anything else.

I don't have a snow blower, our first year up here, I'm definitely considering it.

I would not bother. It is the wind and cold weather that I would be concerned about. This year, I placed tarps over my equipment, AC units and everything else. Do have to watch the snow on top, but I usually go and blow off quickly not to pile up. The heaters would have to be on the lowest setting of 600W, which could roughly cost you $.9 cents per hour (more or less on rates) and over 30 days, this would add up.

If you really wanted to go the extra mile, insulation would be your best bet. My garage is insulated from roof and one exterior walls. The other 2 walls are from the house and the garage doors, of course open and close all the time. The temperatures have never reached below 50* (from what I know as there is a thermostat) in there for show. This would be your best bet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.