East Hampton NY
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have separate plumbing for my pool and spa, each with its own heater and its own SWG. I recently had my pools and spa resurfaced with fresh Diamond Brite, and the contractor did an extremely low pH acid wash which he wanted me to leave for three days. Ignoring the pros and cons of my situation, in a pinch I re-spliced my plumbing to exclude the heaters and SWGs while the water was very acidic. But next week I will want to repair my system. After and before photos below.

Having said that, when I do the repair, I figure I might as well create a manual bypass for the future in case its needed again. But I have a few questions:

1) Do I want to bypass both the heaters and SWG, or should I only bypass the heater? The former is certainly easier using my existing piping, but it might be more useful to have the heater bypassed with the SWG still inline. If I have another high acid situation, I could swap in PVC pipe for the SWG and not have to worry about the asset while I bypass the heater.

2) I assume I create the bypass with a 3-way valve and a check valve to prevent back flow to the heater if bypassed. Correct? This seems to be the valve I need: https://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-4717-...andy+3+way+valve+2+inch&qid=1652413741&sr=8-5

3) What is the best way to do this with my existing piping? Right now I have check valves in place on the outflow form my heaters, so if I am not bypassing the SWG, I should be able to just add the 3-way valves. Its more complicated if I am bypassing the SWG too, because the check valves would need to be relocated. The difficult connections are the PVC joints/unions with the SWG and the inflow/outflow from the heaters, as well as my Jandy Valve and actuator that controls my waterfall. I believe buying replacements for these unions may be expensive and more difficult than simply buying PVC and elbows.

Attachments

• IMG_4581.jpeg
    IMG_4581.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_4575.jpeg
    IMG_4575.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 28
Given the placement of my existing heaters and piping, the logical way to add a bypass would be for each 3-way valve (one for pool heater and one for spa heater) to be mounted on risers, rather than on horizontal pipes. So the water flow would either travel upward to the heater, or off a 90 degree horizontal to a T-connector and then down from heater return (with a check valve blocking the return into the heater, which is already present in my lines). My only concern is that all the photos of have seen of three way valves have them deployed on horizontal pipes and not risers. Is there a concern with the effects of gravity I should be aware of? Its all 2" piping so I dont think flow should be impaired.

My Jandy value arrived today. It is configured with the inflow to be in the center and to divert the flow to either side of the T (so flow will occur in one or the other 90 degree angle). But for my bypass, I want the water to flow wither 180 degrees or 90 degrees (so the inflow on one of the two side of the tip of the T, not in the center). Is is possible to adjust this valve by unscrewing the top plate and adjusting so inflow is on the part of the top of the T? Alternatively, are there other types of 3-way valves sold?

Adjust the top plate or cut the stops to turn the diverter in the direction you need.

Got the spa's bypass done today. See photos. Works well except I am not sure the check valve is functioning 100% when I divert. Since the orientation is horizontal, I can see water is not seeing to go up the pipe. But there is a drip that come out of the heater's inflow pipe when diverted. Might this simply be airflow when the pump is on (as opposed to liquid flowing). Its only a drip, virtually all the flow is bypassed.

Still need to do the pool.

Attachments

• IMG_4619.jpeg
    IMG_4619.jpeg
    792.2 KB · Views: 34

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.