crazy mid century pool

I'd be concerned that the brick may be deteriorated enough that it wouldn't withstand the high heat. It's also going to be a serious chore to remove the paint (which needs to be removed).

AquaBright will adhere to just about any surface.

Can you post some pictures?

This is Brian ^^^^ he is our aquabright go to guy.

I did not even think of the heat! This is an inside pool as well. Will that make a difference?

Kim:kim:

Wow, you're gettin right at it!

Does it make you wonder if it's paint? Usually when you paint bricks they suck up the paint and the paint becomes near impossible to completely remove.

What a bonus that it's flaking off like that!!

Whoa!! Did you close on the house already and take possession!? That was fast. Or do you have some sort of special arrangement that the owner/real estate agent is allowing you to do some major work already?? Be careful here...

Man when they do something the do it right.........that cover is a work of art!

I see all of the switches by the stairs. It will be fun just figuring out what they all do :roll:

It looks like the paint on the bricks is going to be easy. The paint on the cement is going to be the hard part by the looks of it.

Kim:kim:

We discussed doing this work with the owner. They have to have the pool functioning per the sales contract and I don't mind (prefer) to help them get it there cheaply and without having bandaid type work done. IMO this is a team effort.

Dang it!!!!! My sales agreement was the opposite. I gave them 60 days occupancy after closing with access for contractors and inspectors, but no stipulation on the pool. When I took possession, the pool was an algae swamp with pH below 7.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dang it!!!!! My sales agreement was the opposite. I gave them 60 days occupancy after closing with access for contractors and inspectors, but no stipulation on the pool. When I took possession, the pool was an algae swamp with pH below 7.

We had a smooth middle ground - they got the pool up and running the summer before in preparation for sale, took good care of it, and even gave us a "tour" of the pool equipment so that we knew which valves did what and where everything was - and it was crystal clear (but 64 degrees) the day we took possession on our short (28 day) closing.

We had a smooth middle ground - they got the pool up and running the summer before in preparation for sale, took good care of it, and even gave us a "tour" of the pool equipment so that we knew which valves did what and where everything was - and it was crystal clear (but 64 degrees) the day we took possession on our short (28 day) closing.

Maybe I shouldn't complain. My sellers left me hundreds of dollars worth of magic potions from the pool $tore. By the way, is anyone interested in 7 half-used buckets of dry acid, 4 half-used bottles of tile cleaner and enough Alkalinity Up for your kids to build a really cool bucket fort?

Maybe I shouldn't complain. My sellers left me hundreds of dollars worth of magic potions from the pool $tore. By the way, is anyone interested in 7 half-used buckets of dry acid, 4 half-used bottles of tile cleaner and enough Alkalinity Up for your kids to build a really cool bucket fort?

Sounds like they did a whole lot of chasing their pH. We were left with about 1/3 of a bucket of dichlor.

We were really wary about an indoor pool - my SO was a lifeguard, and any time she worked indoors she developed "lifeguard lung" (scary when you find out the cause - aerosolized bacteria - nasty). Thankfully I found this site - and many, many hours later, we settled our minds about being able to properly take care of a pool, and went ahead, and have never looked back!

Quick update for those following - I am still pursuing the purchase of the house but have discovered some fairly serious foundation issues and am in the process of getting inspections and quotes for repairs etc. Today I spoke with a company that applies specialized coatings to pools, similar to spray on bed liner, should have a detailed quote from them in the next few days but I already know it is quite expensive. will continue providing updates as things move forward.

Quick update for those following - I am still pursuing the purchase of the house but have discovered some fairly serious foundation issues and am in the process of getting inspections and quotes for repairs etc.

During my home search, I saw more foundation issues that I expected to. The block foundation of my home was noted as an "area of concern" on the inspection report only because of the block itself.

I was about to make an offer on a home that had a recent foundation failure fixed with "piers". I'd never heard of that, so it scared the heck out of me. I took a few days to think about it, and the house sold. I was bummed, but in hindsight that home had no pool and no good place to put one. What a close call - who lives like that??? :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.