Cracks in the decking... are they normal—as in to be expected???

Lis010

Feb 25, 2018
Houston, TX
Hi again!!!

Is it common to see thin crack-lines along the decking of the pool within the first few months of the pool build??? This is our 3rd month and I’m not sure if this is the norm or not.

I value all insights you are willing to share.
Thanks.

Our pb steered us away from concrete because he said that it will crack, it would be just a matter of time so we went with pavers. Sorry I know that you probably did not want to hear that:(

Properly done, with control joints and proper support and a long cure time. No, you shouldn’t get cracks, not even hairline ones. Think of bridges, the procedure now is to keep them moist so they cure inside out, bot inside in.

cracks are caused from curing too fast, not enough expansion joints and not properly packing the substrate below the concrete pour, and your soil type(s). W clay soils and closer to the top, your worst scenario, vs all sand.

when your gunite is shot, they ask you to wet shell 2-3 times per day for 7 days...I did this 4-5 times for 10 days...this is one of the most important steps in pool building that the owner can do, besides also project manage the PB's PM :)

When my pool was built, both my PB and the guy who did the concrete deck told me that eventually the deck would crack. Twelve years later I'm still waiting for my first crack.

I think it also has to do with concrete mixture as well. My neighbor's 15 year old pool has had 1 small hairline crack that is barely noticeable. My deck after only 4 months already has 2 large hairline cracks. His deck visually looks like a better concrete mixture. You can see the pebbles and it looks more like a public sidewalk. Mine is all grey with no pebbles showing at all. Mine also was made with no rebar although I realize most builders do not rebar decks. My concrete is fairly thick in some places including where one of the cracks are like 10" thick. I think that is too much not to put rebar. Both of my cracks are in roughly the same place around the skimmers (one crack by each skimmer). That concerns me as well as the coping bluestone mortar also has a crack at the exact same spot by each skimmer. My PB is pretty unresponsive to anything I ask for since the build ended and especially now that I have filed a lawsuit against them for lack of grading the pool area. My options going forward are to ask them once, if they do not respond then to have an outside company do anything that is required and sue them for any expenses I incur. Sad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.