Cracks in Shotcrete Shell

WardL

Apr 2, 2015
Camarillo, CA
The pool is 5 years old. The Pebble Sheen was delaminating along one side and we decided to redo the Pebble Sheen. We chipped and hydro blasted the old Pebble out. We wondered if the delamination was due to the shell cracking, but we were not sure. Now we can see where the shell is cracked and I'm wondering the best way forward. Interesting the shell cracks are not where the Pebble Sheen was delaminating. The pool was constructed with a geotechnical engineer's approval and the rebar design was done with the Anaheim engineering company that seems to do all the pools in California. We had an inspector onsite to observe and approve the rebar install.

I did not think the pool was leaking water as I have a water meter on the make-up water. You can see in the pictures, the one crack is pretty big. Both of the cracks are on the end of the pool about 20' apartimage0 - Copy.jpegimage2 - Copy.jpegimage3 - Copy.jpeg. We are on a sidehill and I expect the ground has moved. It is an infinity pool and it was hard to see where the level of the pool was off from one side to the other. I can't imagine the cost to insert something underneath the pool to support it from moving. I also can't imagine the staples would be strong enough to hold up the pool if the ground is moving underneath. I am looking for suggestions. Wish I could fill the crack with epoxy and shoot the Pebble Sheen and we are good for another 5 years.

A lot of contractors warrant their shells from cracking for many years. Some offer a lifetime warranty. Plus, engineering firms may have some liability protection to pony up. After all, they were hired and paid to design something that would keep this very thing from happening. Start there.

Cracks in shells can be repaired. Structures can be shored up. There will be a solution, and quite possibly one for which you will not have to pay. Plus you live in pro-consumer CA. Don't panic just yet...

The crack looks a little odd for a subsidence crack(?) More like a deficiency in the original shotcrete(?) In any event, it needs to be filled and stapled. Check with your builder/engineer for warranties on their design and workmanship.

With a 5 year old pool in CA you should drop the cracking problem in the lap of the Builder and Engineers. Let them figure the root cause of the cracking and the fix.

If they don’t step up then @Dirk will tell you how to proceed in CA.

The builder says if the ground moved there is no warranty. He has not marked up what the contractors have charged to do the other repairs. The crack is not where the Pebble Sheen delaminated and not the reason we decided to remove all the pebble sheen. The two cracks are both at one end of the pool around the spa. I'll take an overhead picture and post it soon.

I do want to talk to the original pool engineers out of Anaheim, CA. You know, Disneyland....

Thank you for your comments and keep them coming. I need all the help I can get.

Looks more like a separation to me. Probably happened at installation and not a major concern. I'd be way more concerned if it had propagated to the tile area or further down the wall/through the wall.. Can you tell if it's all the way through the wall? Will be interesting to see what the expert consensus is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.