Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
Hello Thursdayers
I hear a constant cracking-type sound coming from my filter, and despite having cleaned it 2 weeks ago, I see the pressure at 20psi; that is double the usual operating pressure. The crackling noise sounds as though the plastic breather tube is rattling inside, perhaps.
In addition, my Navigator crawls along the bottom of the pool.

Is it possible that something is stuck in that filter that's causing all this rauckus?? Yes, I can take it apart, I know.

Your pump is way too big. When it's time to replace it, definitely go with a variable speed pump and turn it way down.

You can downsize your impeller if you want. It would save you a lot of money on power. It's not too difficult.

Reactions: nabril15
Your pump is way too big. When it's time to replace it, definitely go with a variable speed pump and turn it way down.

You can downsize your impeller if you want. It would save you a lot of money on power. It's not too difficult.

Thank you James
How did you determine that my pump is way too big? I inherited the pool when I bought the house. They had a 2hp pump, and when it broke, I replaced it with 1.5hp single speed.
The navigator used to climb walls, but it doesn't any more. Aside from a possible leak somewhere, why is 1.5hp too much?
Thanks

In my opinion, no residential pool needs more than 1.0 total hp for normal filtration.

In fact, even at half speed on a two speed pump, the filtration is more than adequate.

If the suction cleaner is not working, it's a problem with the cleaner or the suction line.

In my opinion, no residential pool needs more than 1.0 total hp for normal filtration.

In fact, even at half speed on a two speed pump, the filtration is more than adequate.

If the suction cleaner is not working, it's a problem with the cleaner or the suction line.

thank you James. I will keep that in mind when this pump reaches the end of its usefulness.
Is 1 HP enough to have a navigator do its thing and climb walls? My pool does have a spa bench, but I've used it 3 times maybe as a spa, and I only turn it on to circulate water through the pipes during a SLAM; it has an air blower.
UNfortunately, the pool builder only put in 2 return holes for a 16x30 pool, so will 1 hp circulate the water enough??

Is it normal to hear the air bleed tube shake around inside the filter? I've hear that happen since I bought the house. I assume that it moves with water flow inside the cartridge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine has a small rubber retaining grommet that keeps it stabilized to the top of the filter's vertical support rod. You might try to find the illustrated parts breakdown for that filter to see if everything is there.
Thanks Tex. I wish that mine had that. The bleed tube sits loose in the inner hole of the cartridge, and the rounded top of the filter assembly leaves room up top.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.