Crackling noise around filter

ethany

LifeTime Supporter
May 23, 2009
Trenton NJ
I don't ever remember hearing this sound before but it sounds like a crackling or crunching noise. Can't tell if it's the pump or filter.

Last season I replaced the sand and laterals in the filter. I was getting a lot of sand in the pool. I still get a little sand, not sure why. I followed the directions to a "T" when refilling.

Anyway any ideas?

It could be an air leak on the skimmer line. I have a small one on my pool and if I select the skimmer line, with the multi valve, I will get air bubbles in the pump basket and the filter will sound like it is crackling or has something rattling around in it. If I run the valve on both, skimmer and main drain, or just main drain, then everything is fine.

Try this

Shut off the pump. Open the pump lid and remove the basket. Then open the filter air bleed and let it drain backwards. See if any bits of gravel get pushed out into the pump basket. I had a small piece of gravel make its way through the basket once and it sounded awful. I had to pull the motor to discover it.

Part of the problem is that your pump is too big. Excessive water velocity going through the system can create noise, especially if air is in the water.

What size are the pipes, multiport and filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.