Cracked Filter Tank .. wanting to Change from Chlorine to Saltwater

itsme_bernie

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2013
New Jersey
Hello Everyone,

I am posting in this forum because I have been wanting to change from chlorine to saltwater/SWG, and JUST realized my DE filter tank totally failed. I didn't remove the drain plug from my Hayward DE4800 filter last winter (I am in NJ). I got the rest of my system going enough to start the pump, and water was just effortlessly gushing out from the BOTTOM of the filter tank. Whoops. I should feel lucky it was bad enough to build up no pressure at all first.

SINCE I just cracked my filter tank, I was wondering if this is perfect opportunity to swap to SWG and be able to add more ideal chemistry equipment, and/or install the most ideal filter for this type of chemistry while my current chlorine-based filter is broken.
I don't want to dump money into replacing parts of this tank, or replace with the same type of filter if it is not best for SWG.

Is my timing lucky or did I just add to my expense with the filter broken? Ha ha

Thanks for your opinions

Bernie

Merged threads.

Hello Everyone,

I have a related post over in SWG chemistry, but this post is just related to my DE filter tank.

I found I forgot to take the drain plug out last winter (NNJ). I currently have a Hayward DE4800 filter.

One option I am considering is finding a used or new bottom/half tank. BUT IF I have to replace the whole thing, I see a few used choices near me. I see a Hayward DE7200 nearby. Any reason I shouldn't upgrade to this larger filter, from DE4800 to DE7200? I am trying to find out if the connections are the same size. I have a slightly larger HP motor than stock when it went two years ago, I went from 1-1/2hp to 2hp.

Thanks

Bernie

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom half of the tank and connections are the same, the top half and grids are taller. The internal stand pipe is taller of course.

No reason not to go bigger, will just reduce the frequency of having to clean it.

Reactions: itsme_bernie
The bottom half of the tank and connections are the same, the top half and grids are taller. The internal stand pipe is taller of course.

No reason not to go bigger, will just reduce the frequency of having to clean it.

I really appreciate your help- the 7200 was sold.
There is a bottom of a 6020 for sale nearby- would that fit?

If there is a place I can look for these cross-references, I won’t keep grilling you hah
Thanks so much

Bernie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I appreciate all your help everyone.. once I source out this bottom tank shell I am sure I am off and running.. There is a DE2400 for sale nearby, I can't tell if that shell will fit my tank.. Anyone have opinions on that?
Thank you

Bernard

I think the bottoms tank portion is the same for all the Hayward DE filters. The only difference is the height of the PVC stand pipe that is inside the tank and attached to the upper bulk head. What I don't know is if you can just swap out the stand pipe, or if you would have to pull the bulkhead and stand pipe off your existing tank and move it over to the new bottom.

If you look at many of the online pool stores, they have part breakdowns for the filters and you can see if the part numbers are the same.

Or you could call up INYO Pools and I am sure they would be able to answer your question right away.

Reactions: itsme_bernie
Thanks so much for your help everyone.
I found a Hayward DE6000 locally, for less than $100!! Lucky lucky day.
I got it home, and swapped the new (old)DE6000 for my (now former)DE4800 in about ten minutes. It bolted perfectly in place of DE4800, the inlet and outlet, and the height.
It will take a little more DE, but it is actually already helpful that it will technically filter 25% better than the last one, and I need to catch up!
I have not had it apart yet, as I would like to make sure the elements are clean and clear, but I knew I would be dirtying pretty heavily right away. When I get the water almost clear, I think I will give a real work-over then.

I think I will post a pic later

Thanks everyone

Bernie

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.