Cracked DE filter drained pool

mhoult

Apr 23, 2019
Houston
Hi,

I just need to make sure I am on the right track.

Background - last Thursday my main pump motor failed due to high resistance windings. The new motor arrived a day later, installed, primed pump and switched on (while priming I close both skimmer returns and just have the main drain open). After a 30 seconds water started gushing from the DE filter lower casing. Pump stopped and a 18" long 1/4" crack found. New filter ordered with a 6 day arrival time.

The next day I awoke to a strange noise, not the AC, then it hit me that the pool pump was running. After running to the kitchen the pool was completely empty. 33,000 gallons of salt water down the side of the house and down the street. The timer had kicked in because I didn't isolate at the breaker, No skimmers in circuit (see above) so it just drained the whole lot.

Immediately added two hose pipes and one from the neighbors faucet to boost the fill. 19 hours later all full. As the filter is a lost cause I ran the pump in bypass. The water is clear but green. Current Houston temperature 96F and full sun.

Tested (just fill water)

CC - 0
FC- 0
TA - 260
CH - 60
PH - 8.0
CYA - 0

Saturday
Correct PH down to 7.2 with muriatic acid
Added 2 gallons of regular bleach to prevent algae in the short term, aimed for 3ppm.
Added 880lb salt to reach 3400ppm
Ordered 80lb CH and 20lb CYA.

Turned SWG on to super chlorinate

Today added
1 Gallon of Muriatic acid to achieve 7.2ppm
40lb calcium hardness to achieve 220ppm for now
8lb CYA in sock to achieve 30ppm
32oz GLB sequa-sol (green tint in clear water))

This afternoon
CH - 220ppm
FC - 11ppm
CC - 0ppm
TA - 240ppm
PH - 7.2ppm
Salt - 3300ppm

The new filter will not arrive until Thursday. Is there anything else I should be doing apart from reducing the PH to reduce TA and keeping the FC in check?

Thanks for reading the long post!

Looks like you responded the best you can. Water has the light green iron look that Houston water does. Put some polyfill in the skimmer and it should help filter it out.

I would not force the TA down. It actually helps you a bit with CSI with your lower CH. Let pH rise to 8 prior to adjusting.

Reactions: mhoult
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.