Crack in skimmer or just missing caulk/silicone?

Dec 10, 2018
Birmingham, AL
I'm a new pool owner and have been reading through this forum for months (thank you for all your info!) as we prepared to get a new liner and open our pool this spring...new liner is going in today! Anyway, I cleaned the skimmers last night and noticed a crack on the bottom but what it really looks like is a gap in caulk or silicone at the 8:00 position. Is there typically a bead of caulk around the perimeter? If so, what kind of caulk/silicone should I use to close this up prior to filling the pool?

Attachments

• skimmer 2.jpg
    skimmer 2.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 46
Should be a one piece design that gap should be a mold line from manufacturer. You also dont need that screw and plate. Carefully remove the screw so you dont drop into oown pipe and remove it and plate. Put a rag over the pipe. Your main drain is no good or the other line is dead and they have a plug in it. If that plate ever moved over you would starve pump of water

That gap where the skimmer mouth meets the body at 8 o'clock position should probably be filled with epoxy or you will have some water loss.

yeah I would seal it with something to keep dirt out but I cant say Ive ever seen a 2 piece skimmer. how old is the pool? if its an older one it may very well be I cant tell from pics, you can since you can look up close. if that is indeed a seal throw some waterweld on it or anything similar for plastics/CPVC/PVC

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.