Covid 19 Chicken and PH to Start SLAMING

May 29, 2017
York, Maine
Opening green pool for season....just used all my acid an the pH did not make it to 7.2 (3 gallons of the Green Eco Crud). It is now 7.4 Can I start my SLAMING at this level. I want to avoid running to the store for Covid 19 reasons. My slam typical takes a week, so I can re-stock ACID later in the week, figure out safe way to get it.

Also, I have plenty of stabilizer.....if I had to guess, I am about 15 ppm. I could add that now, or while slaming since my ph is off a bit. But that takes days to desolve anyway.

Can I start my slam at Ph of 7.4?

Opening green pool for season....just used all my acid an the pH did not make it to 7.2 (3 gallons of the Green Eco Crud). It is now 7.4 Can I start my SLAMING at this level. I want to avoid running to the store for Covid 19 reasons. My slam typical takes a week, so I can re-stock ACID later in the week, figure out safe way to get it.

Also, I have plenty of stabilizer.....if I had to guess, I am about 15 ppm. I could add that now, or while slaming since my ph is off a bit. But that takes days to desolve anyway.

Can I start my slam at Ph of 7.4?
Don't forget to take a full set of tests before starting SLAM Process
Did you run a CYA test? I don't believe there is a 15 line? And the CYA scale is not linear, it's logarithmic

Just did the full chem test....

TA=30 (surprised....last winter it didn't drop so much)
CH=150 (I don't have any calcium chloride in stock right now)
CYA= 20 (Actually, the dot couldn't be seen 2/3 way from 30 to 20, so CYA more like 23)

FC 0
PH 7.2
Tested PH again PH=7.2 (changed test kits AND the water mixed up more). So my original problem of a 7.4 is gone.
Also I have a neighbor just gave me some ACID.
I have plenty of baking soda, calcium chloride, and 20 bottles of liguid chlorine on hand.

So now the question changes:
Should I adjust the TA before slaming? Pool math tells me add 18 lbs baking soda, I have 24 lbs on hand
Should I adjust the Hardness Before Slaming? Pool math tells me to add 19lbs of Calcium Chloride to get to 250, I have 25 lbs on hand.

Just did the full chem test....
Thank you!

You need chlorine, now, really. You can use both liquid chlorine and supplement with cal-hypo (since you need calcium as well)

PH 7.2
Tested PH again PH=7.2 (changed test kits AND the water mixed up more). So my original problem of a 7.4 is gone.
TA=30 (surprised....last winter it didn't drop so much)
Should I adjust the TA before slaming? Pool math tells me add 18 lbs baking soda, I have 24 lbs on hand
I would leave this, unless your PH crashes/bottoms out on you, then you'll only dose SMALL amounts to slowly raise TA to stabilize PH

CH=150 (I don't have any calcium chloride in stock right now)
CYA= 20 (Actually, the dot couldn't be seen 2/3 way from 30 to 20, so CYA more like 23)
That is CYA/30 (it's not a linear, but logarithmic)
Definitely get some calcium, via calcium chloride and/or cal-hypo for now

Also I have a neighbor just gave me some ACID.
I have plenty of baking soda, calcium chloride, and 20 bottles of liguid chlorine on hand.
So now the question changes:
Should I adjust the Hardness Before Slaming? Pool math tells me to add 19lbs of Calcium Chloride to get to 250, I have 25 lbs on hand.
You don't need the muriatic acid right now. You DO want to get your FC up!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.