Coverstar UV protectant and chlorine demand

33Mike

May 23, 2019
Bloomington, IN
I opted to clean and apply protectant to my one-year old Coverstar cover. I used both the Coverstar brand cleaner and protectant. I first cleaned, rinsed, and let dry. Then according to instructions, sprayed and brushed the Coverstar protectant on the cover. The instructions emphasize not to rinse but leave the protectant to dry and bond to the cover. I let the cover sit for at least a day before operating it. It is a 14’ x 30’ pool and I used a little less than 32 oz. of protectant for the cover. I needed this much to get a uniform appearance without dry spots. The cover looked fantastic but had a bit of a greasy feel.

As anyone with these covers knows, what sticks to the top partially transfers to the bottom with each open and close cycle. Over the next week I noticed a slight oil slick on the pool each time I opened, and increased chlorine demand, especially overnight after the cover was closed. To mitigate this, I ended up trying to rinse and brush the cover with pure water. This was some days after the application. That helped, but over a week and a half later, and a few rain storms, I’m still seeing a slight oil slick on top of the cover. The oil slick is no longer visible in the pool, but chlorine demand still seems higher than usual. I’m trying to SLAM now just to be sure any algae is gone. Last night, with very clear water, I used 2-3 ppm overnight.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Are there recommendations to address this without affecting the UV protection of the cover? (I could rinse the top with bleach water, but I’m concerned about removing the protection.). Searching forums indicates that many people are using 303 Aerospace protectant. I wonder if that would be a better choice than the Coverstar product.

Thanks!

After using 303 maybe two weeks before we left for vacation (driving home now), I too did see a small amount of an oil slick on the surface. I threw tennis balls in each skimmer. But it wasn’t enough for me to be bothered. I did not and have not previously noticed increased FC usage. I too kept the pool covered for a full sunny day before opening. I wouldn’t do anything other than an OCLT with the cover off for 24 hours beforehand. But a SLAM won’t hurt anything either. Scientifically I don’t know if it could cause increased FC usage but anything like that would go away rather quickly as the transferable product gets reduced and therefore gets diluted. Most of it is still on the cover so not that much really would enter the water.

I threw tennis balls in each skimmer. But it wasn’t enough for me to be bothered. I did not and have not previously noticed increased FC usage.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I hadn't heard of the tennis ball technique. I take it this is supposed to trap oils floating on the water. Good to know.

We've now had 2+ inches of rain in the last day or so and the water on top of the cover appears to be clear. I will recheck my FC loss. I lost 2.5 ppm overnight last night while the cover was closed. (Water is crystal clear.) But the rain, and big cover rinse, happened after I closed the cover last night.

I'm not sure if the protectant is the source of loss or not, so it is good to know your experience. This stuff seems pretty strong. It smells like coconuts and has a white color like Armor all. I only assume it behaves like a suntan oil or something and may be a target for chlorine consumption. I got a few splatters from the spray bottle on the concrete decking and when they get wet now, they repel the water leaving white spots in the midst of wet concrete. Attached is a photo after letting the cover sit for a day. You can see it is just glistening, like a Hersey bar melting in the sun.

IMG_6552.jpeg

That’s pretty. It looks good with the dark chocolate chairs. Yes on the tennis balls. We have many around here because my wife plays. I threw them away because of the volume and because my dogs fetch them from the pool and don’t need them drinking the stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.