Lancaster, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
So the pool company just closed up the pool for the year here in Pennsylvania - this is our first year with the in-ground pool - it was installed in May 2020. Does anyone cover the pump, heater and filter for the winter or is that overkill? Thanks a lot!

I would feel comfortable covering the pump and filter, but I'm not sure about that heater?? If its gas is the gas turned off absolutely entirely?
I believe heaters are prone to rodents moving in. I forget how to fix that problem...?

Let's ask someone who knows heaters well- @JamesW

You can buy a rodent screen kit. They also sell heater covers. You can cover the equipment, but make sure that you don't get moisture trapped beneath the cover as that can create accelerated corrosion.

I live in Upstate NY and have never covered any of my equipment. IMO the covers give rodents shelter. This can be disastrous. Electrical components will be chewed up and you wont see their nests until some component over heats of breaks down and by then its too late. My rec would be to not cover any of the fixed position equipment. If you can disconnect the pump and bring it indoors, maybe do that. I don't do that and my pump works year in and year out for the last 4 yrs. It does show wear and tear which I am sure shortens its life cycle a bit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.