Covering Pool in So Calif. due to drought

frazld

Aug 29, 2019
Southern California
In So. Calif. With Lake Mead water level at lowest level since 1930 and having to fill 23k gallon pool 3 to 6 inches almost every 2 weeks, and I pretty sure we will be seeing massive water restrictions and penalties on the water bill.
How can I maintain the pool water level with costing a small fortune?
Are is it just not worth it. When we had a grass lawn our water bill in the summer was near $600.00.

Update got e mail from water company mandatory water restriction and tiered usage billing.
All h@ll is going to break out in So Calif if we don't get a massive amount or rain this winter. Our water storage is Colorado river and snow pack. Minimal aquifer storage.
Watch out Great Lakes here comes the LADWP

Last edited:
That waterline is much lower around LM than when I grew up there in teh 70s-80s. Crazy to see it now. :( The wind and ambient temps are your biggest enemies for sure. Anything you can do to cut down on either helps. Even with your concerns, I would still research a cover. That could be your biggest ally.

Going to cover kidney shaped pool with non porous safety cover.
I have safety coping and I haven't see any pics of covers with this type of coping.
My fear is that the safety coping will rub holes into the cover rather rapidly.
How do I protect the cover from this damage?
And any recomendation for mfg of cover?

What is safety coping?

Post pics of your coping that you think may be a problem.

Non porous safety cover you mean a solid cover, not a mesh cover?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here. Hold my beer.
Time to think out of the box!
Los angles has a reservoir that is covered in 4” black plastic balls to control evaporation. You can do the same. You could possibly use 5 or 6 net/mesh bags to make handling realistic. The bags would need to be loose packed enough so all the balls would float flat.
Obviously you have to test it to see if it is worth going all in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.