Covered for winter, prep for spring?

Jun 15, 2016
Washington, il
Last year we installed a partial above ground pool, one side is all above the other is half way above ground, 14000 gallons. This were great, mostly because of this great web site. I have had smaller pools before and when ever I had algae issues I would just dump all the water and refill. $100 in water is better than dealing with the stress.

So about August this year, at the end of our season, The algae got me good, checked my levels and from all the rain we had in one week I was way to low 0 on some days. So I did my best to kill and clean it all out but ran out of time, covered pool and hope to beat it in the spring. So that got me to thinking, I should ask the fine folks here if they have any suggestion for action I can take now, before freeze, 72 degrees in central Illinois in November, WHAT.

Should I put more bleach in the pool now, or should I take any actions now before freeze and spring to help fight off what lurks under the cover?

Also when at the pool store asking about pumps, sales man told me a 1hp pump is not really big enough for my size pool. Any suggestion or thoughts on a pump and filter system? I am more a sand filter person.

14000 gal above ground 18x33x52

I would add enough FC to get to the SLAM value of your CYA (consult the FC/CYA chart in Pool School). You will open to a much cleaner pool if you do this.

Please modify your location to "Washington, IL"

A 1 hp pump is plenty for your pool. It sounds like you need to test more often to keep your FC at the levels we suggest. You will have far less algae issues if you do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.