Albuquerque, NM
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Brand: Cover Pools
Part #: 050239

I could use some help figuring out what happened to the shear pin hole within the pool cover shaft. This is my third season as a pool owner and the automatic pool cover has been the biggest challenge of managing the pool. The shear pin seems to always break. After watching our pool cover person knock it out and replace it 4-6 times the first couple seasons I've since learned how to do it myself. My current challenge is that the hole within the shaft doesn't seem to be lining up like it normally does. I'm unable to see the hole to knock it out with a screw driver. I've gently turned the shaft 360 but do not see it as the shaft turns Any thoughts, ideas or recommendations?

Some additional context. I've had the following maintenance on the unit over the first 2 years:
  • Year 1:
    • Replaced the rotting cover that wasn't being cleaned and maintained each year.
  • Year 2 (last year):
    • Had a new concrete pit and drains poured to ensure the motor and shaft was sitting level.
    • Motor, shaft and pulley tune up. Everything was stripped, greased, serviced and put back together

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    490 KB · Views: 38
You just have to turn it on/off, forward/back to get the hole in the main shaft to line up so you can put the shear pin in. I bought a box of a hundred and still have about half after 19 years. On mine it sits on top of the concrete which adds a whole lot of tension. Like dragging a wet towel so broken pins often.

1/4" x 2" I can't find the box I bought but I use the black ones. Just search on amazon for roll or tension pin.
Yes it's tight but I learned NOT to use the 1/4 punch because it will not come out once it goes through the hole. I just pound a new pin on top of the old one and it always pushes it though while seating itself.

thank you @avspin . After wrestling to get the broken bolt out, I was able to get it going again. This time with a tension pin instead of a bolt which is what had been there every other time I had hired someone to fix it. I hope the tension pins are easier to manage moving forward. Ill try your method of knocking out the broken one with a new one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.