Cover for the Auto-Cover?

rxann

Sep 20, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Hello! First time post here. Have had our IGP for 3 years in Minnesota now. We have an auto-safety cover which is of course closed for the winter months. My question is, does anyone else add an additional tarp cover over the auto-cover for the winter/closed months? We have done this each winter so far. Our pool is tucked into a wooded area so we get a lot of blowing leaves in the fall, and our theory is the added tarp will cut down on the leaves/debris managing to find it's way into the pool even with the auto-cover, and more importantly, that it will protect and extend the life of our auto-cover. However, I don't like how it looks for all the winter months with the huge ugly brown tarp on it, so if it isn't doing anything helpful, I'd sure like to forego the tarp for this winter. Does anyone else do this or have thoughts on this? Thank you!

I have read in the past that some auto-cover brands don't recommend their use under the weight of snow. I recall the idea was to leave the cover open underneath a winter cover. Its been years since I read it so can't include a cite though. I know its not exactly cheap but have you considered a fitted cover for the pool?

I have read in the past that some auto-cover brands don't recommend their use under the weight of snow. I recall the idea was to leave the cover open underneath a winter cover. Its been years since I read it so can't include a cite though. I know its not exactly cheap but have you considered a fitted cover for the pool?
Thanks for the reply, YippeeSkippy. That is really interesting--I am going to look up the manufacturer of our auto-cover and check to see if they have any recommendations in this regard. What do you meant exactly, by a "fitted cover"? (ours is an IGP). Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply, YippeeSkippy. That is really interesting--I am going to look up the manufacturer of our auto-cover and check to see if they have any recommendations in this regard. What do you meant exactly, by a "fitted cover"? (ours is an IGP). Thanks again!

One of those safety covers that are sized and shaped for the pool and bolt down to the deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.