Cover for in ground with wide deck - how to anchor?

ludocdoc

Aug 18, 2021
New jersey
Hi all, new to the forum. Helping my father in law replace his floating ground level deck which surrounds his 20x40 rectangular in ground pool. Three deck sides are really walkways, 2.5-4 feet wide. One side is 8-14 feet wide x 40 feet long - the main lounging area. His current, rotting deck has holes cut in it through which he has 15 inch pipes pounded into the ground. He places the anchors into these pipes to secure the cover each winter. It looks to me like this puts some lateral stress on the deck boards, even with the pipes angled away from the pool. We're rebuilding with new joists and composite decking, so I don't want to duplicate this. I'm surprised not to find much online about how people handle this. Lots on drilling anchors into concrete decks but not much on wooden ones.

The current straps reach about 3 feet on to the deck. Is it acceptable to extend those... to 4-5 feet so I don't have to cut holes in the walkways? How about reaching all the way across the 14 foot segment to the grass where I could install similar pipes? Am I missing an obvious elegant solution? Tell me I don't have to pour concrete... please.

Welcome to TFP.

What materials would you use to extend the straps?

Do you know your strap extensions can handle loads equal to or greater than the original straps?

Do you know how much of a load the cover must hold when we accumulate 3 feet of snow and ice in NJ some years? I have seen how much my cover drops into the pool under the weight.

Unless you can do the analysis on the strap loads I suggest you install the cover the way the manufacturer engineered it.

What brand cover is it? Solid or mesh?

Did you take that pic in my FILS backyard !!?? :)
I've seen straps advertised at 6 feet, but that wont be far enough. I've seen pictures of longer, but really, I've seen squat about how people fasten covers to/over/around wooden decks (much less composite) . If pool owners report success running a properly strong strap across 14 feet of deck to anchor in the ground, I'd like to hear that. Certainly, I'd make sure the straps are properly strong.

My two choices are: anchor through the deck as he has done, a few feet from the pool, or consider longer straps. With the current deck, he has these short poles pounded into the ground. When they fail, he replaces them, but thats easy - the decking can be unscrewed and removed. When the pipes lever against the 1x3 planking, its cheap wood to replace. After this rebuild, it wont be feasible to get under the deck to replace anchors, so I need something sturdy.

I have to believe someone else has solved the problem, but I'm surprised at how every time I search for an answer, its all about drilling bolts into concrete decks or pavers.

Last edited:
How about if you call some of the manufactures and run it by them. Merlin, loop loc.

I found this - available various places including amazon. Will try it with longer screws so its into the joist underneath. Probably best with solid composite boards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.