DonnieTheMan

Apr 3, 2021
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hope everyone has been well. I haven’t posted lately because things have just been crazy. Dealing with health stuff, etc.

I have been using liquid chlorine from Walmart (pool essentials) For whatever reason, not a single Walmart around me has any more, even though the shelves were fully stocked a week ago.

Only place I can find tablets is Leslies. I know you can use household bleach, but I think it would cost more vs buying a 20lb bucket of 3 inch tabs for $90. According to leslies, 1 tablet should be good for my pool for a week.
Should I buy the tablets, or bleach? In the past if memory serves me right, I was buying the HEB brand bleach because it had the highest chlorine percentage over Clorox. Is this still a thing?

Second question. I had mulch put around the pool but I feel it was a mistake because the grass and weeds are just ridiculous. Is it safe to spray weed and grass killer around the pool without hurting the liner?

I don't know your current CYA, but I would avoid relying solely on tabs. They won't produce enough chlorine you'll need in the TX heat., and the CYA will creep-up more requiring more chlorine. I'd stick to regular bleach like Great Value if you can't find chlorine. No Clorox bleach. You can also HEB's Bravo. But also check Home Depot for their HDX pool chlorine. As for the weed spray, it's okay as long as you don't get it in the pool. Watch the wind when you spray. As long as it has time to dry it should be fine.

Reactions: DonnieTheMan
I don't know your current CYA, but I would avoid relying solely on tabs. They won't produce enough chlorine you'll need in the TX heat., and the CYA will creep-up more requiring more chlorine. I'd stick to regular bleach like Great Value if you can't find chlorine. No Clorox bleach. You can also HEB's Bravo. But also check Home Depot for their HDX pool chlorine. As for the weed spray, it's okay as long as you don't get it in the pool. Watch the wind when you spray. As long as it has time to dry it should be fine.
CYA is at 50 and I keep my FC between 7 and 8. I seen the HEB bleach is 7.5% chlorine and Great value is 5.7. Looks like I’ll hit up HEB this weekend.

that was one of the things I was concerned with using the tablets, is where my FC levels would be. Leslies claims to have the strongest tablets on the market with 90% chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.