Could the very high Temperatures here in AZ be the reason I have been unable to get my chlorine readings correct?

DevereIceLeon

Jul 20, 2021
Page, AZ 86040
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am Devere, I live in Arizona. It has been over 105° everyday for weeks until the last 3 days. I have had an above ground pool for about 6 years now. 2 years ago I upgraded to a larger size pool. Sometimes getting the readings and the pool clarity correct can take me a minute, but not too challenging, until this year. This year the weather has been a bit hotter that usual and then this week it dropped between 12 and 15 degrees the last few days. I have learned a ton from this website, but am not finished reading yet. Thing is we had scheduled a pool party for Friday afternoon for all the neices and nephews to play and get a chance to see all their cousins before school starts . Some of them haven't seen each other in over a year. So it's kinda important to them.

My problem is the chlorine is very high and isn't dropping at all. 2 days ago I removed the dispenser so I wasn't still contributing to it rising any further. Until I began reading here yesterday I knew very little about maintaining the pool in the ways you mention. I was using a lot of unneeded chemicals and shock packs alot. It has also been cloudy the last few days. Monsoon storms. I have a sand filter pump, and manually vacuum, brush and skim the pool 2 or 3 times weekly. I also added a garden to my yard this year. Can these be the factors contributing to the problem of chlorine being so high. There have also been a ton of bugs because the humidity is above its usual 5% or so. I send the kids to the pool to play a few times a day also for 1-2 hours each time and the FC and TC readings are still too high to know what they actually are. But they are very close to each other in the reading. I only learned yesterday about reagents expiring and one of mine has a light pink tinge to it. Bottle 0002. I had purchased the 8 reagent Taylor kit a few years back. So yesterday I went to our local Ace, which is the only hardware store with any pool supplies of any kind in my town and purchased Ace's 4 way test kit. Problem is the color I am getting in the FC and TC test is much darker and deeper than anything the kits says it should be. I am in the process of ordering a more complete kit on that too. But I have a question about whether I should choose the dark box or clear when I order since it is so hot and bright here. We basically have a UV warning on an everyday basis. And if I take the kit outside while testing the sun may make it last far less time than it should with the clear box.

For an example, I missed one morning watering in my garden a few weeks ago, and I lost a third of my plants, both flowers and vegetables. I usually soak it good morning and night. But I had an emergency and could not water until evening because that happened to be the day we were 111° here and leaves were already burning up. So I didn't want to cause more damage with the sprinkler. Had to wait for the sun to go down. And the plants were full of vegetables and all was wilted and dried out by evening.

This is why I usually use chlorine 3" tabs for my pool. And I was thinking the clouds and less full on bright strong sunlight the last few days wasn't burning off as much chlorine as it usually does.

What say you?