Long Island
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
So, my pool had a new liner in, it was drained completely and we filled it up with hose water. Since then we only chlorinated it with liquid chlorine, up until now. Which we have a SWG.

Could my CYA be 0 since it was filled with hose water and no pucks were used? can I just add the recommended amount for CYA now until I restock up on CYA tests? I honestly ran out and wanted to have the right amount of CYA in asap so the chlorine isn’t burning up to quickly

This may help as well.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the PoolMath APP into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After about 30 minutes of soaking, squeeze the sock continuously to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Reactions: Mdragger88
This may help as well.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the PoolMath APP into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After about 30 minutes of soaking, squeeze the sock continuously to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.
Would you recommend the solid or the liquid CTA?

Would you recommend the solid or the liquid CTA?
We generally say the granular stabilizer only because it's cheaper and relatively easy to add via the sock method. However some owners don't mind paying the extra $ for the liquid conditioner. Either is fine.

Okay so I just bought 20lbs of CYA. So the consistency is like fine grain almost like salt. Do I still need to do the sock method or can this just be dumped in the pool and it’ll dissolve quick since it’s small grain sized?

Attachments

• 3AFBE2D0-995D-40ED-8345-87E0FC24FCDF.jpeg
    3AFBE2D0-995D-40ED-8345-87E0FC24FCDF.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 4
Okay so I just bought 20lbs of CYA. So the consistency is like fine grain almost like salt. Do I still need to do the sock method or can this just be dumped in the pool and it’ll dissolve quick since it’s small grain sized?

Use the sock method. If the granules fall on your liner they will stain it.

THANKS again guys. I have two socks hanging from the returns now. One on each. How long do you think until it’ll dissolve considering it’s fine texture

THANKS again guys. I have two socks hanging from the returns now. One on each. How long do you think until it’ll dissolve considering it’s fine texture
I have found TEXTURE to not be a good indicator of rate of dissolving. I've had fine dissolve slowly and course dissolve quickly. The brand seems to have more impact on how quickly it dissolves. I don't worry about it any more, just buy the cheapest I can find, all of it dissolves ultimately.

I derive some odd pleasure from squeezing it out after it softens. I can do about 7 lbs in 1/2 hour if I work it...also helps develop grip strength!!

Reactions: ForceEdge

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again. So is 45 a good level for CYA? My pool is 27,000 gallons
Sure, great place to start. Remember, we really only use CYA numbers that end in 0. Even if you add 45, you should treat the pool as though it were 50 (but always test after chemical addition to confirm!). When you test CYA, same thing, fill to the line and look. No in-betweenies. First number that obscurses the dot, you are done. CYA numbers end in 0.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.