Bazodee

Silver Supporter
Apr 20, 2016
Dallas TX
We’ve been TFP for a full season and as we are kicking off this season hubby is wondering if we are doing it wrong- we use about a gallon a day - so that’s about $80 a month on bleach alone at about $2.75 a gallon. Sometimes we get it cheaper but sometimes not.

Are we missing something?

Try bumping it a bit, perhaps to 50. Texas is pretty sunny and hot.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, what FC number have you been shooting for?

We’ve been TFP for a full season and as we are kicking off this season hubby is wondering if we are doing it wrong- we use about a gallon a day - so that’s about $80 a month on bleach alone at about $2.75 a gallon. Sometimes we get it cheaper but sometimes not. Are we missing something?
Check my location and pool details. Pretty similar. You're dosage is pretty close to mine so you're doing fine. Like somebody else suggested consider bumping your CYA to 40 or 50.

My neighbor is struggling with this after being pool-stored for 15 years and now is actually putting the proper amount of chlorine in his pool. He was not putting enough before so therefore had to "shock" the pool frequently like once a week and use other (expensive) chemicals to mask the fact that he wasn't simply using enough chlorine. So keep in mind you are just putting chlorine in the pool now. No shock, no masking chemicals, no pucks. Overall it is cheaper. You could consider getting a saltwater chlorine generator and switching.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is liquid CYA. It is the powder in an aqueous solution. It costs about 3X as much as the dry. Do not pour it directly into the pool as some of the stabilizer will not be completely dissolved and if solid CYA gets on your plaster it can stain it. Pour it slowly into the skimmer. It may take up to a week to fully register.

I can put 2# of powder in a sock and dissolve it in a couple hours. Once the powder is fully saturated you squeeze the sock and it disperses rapidly.

Good luck.

There is a liquid version just more expensive to use. SWCG seems like a good option. As others have said push CYA up to 50 and see if it helps if not then perhaps SWCG??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.