Costs for temporary above ground pool set up

sta

May 17, 2021
Louisville, OH
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Let me start by saying how glad I am to have found TFP. My mind is continually blown when I follow pool math and get the expected results. I love it!

Our weather has been chilly for the past two weeks since the pool has been up and ready, I figured I would share costs on what it has taken us to get to the pool to this point. For anyone seeing a pool and thinking "yeah, $500, I can swing that!", you might just be forgetting the other things that go into this. Prices are in NE Ohio, after tax, most purchases made at Menards, ALDI (bleach), Drug Mart (chemicals). I am also new at having a pool, so I bet I still have some things to learn, but hopefully not much more to buy.

Pool set up
Pool (Summer Waves 16’x48” from Menards)$532.50
2 ton mason sand (pool is set up on what was a gravel driveway long ago, sand is just to protect the pool from the rocks, not for leveling)$40.00
10 pavers (cut 8 in half to use under the legs, other two for the ladder)$18.96
6 bags rubber mulch (enough to go between the legs and keep the gravel/rocks out)$44.60
Water, approx 5200 gal (I live 5 miles from water hauling company & place they fill up, I can’t imagine getting it for much less)$250.00
Cover (probably the cheapest one out there - it's basically blue bubble wrap)$42.60
thermometer$4.26
test kit (TF100)$75.00
speed stirrer$46.00
extendable pole (to fit new brush)$21.29
Brush (brush/vacuum that came with the pool is not good for brushing)$6.38
2 hose clamps (one of the plastic ones that came with fell off, lost about 300 gallons)$4.24
total$1,085.83

Chemicals & filters
1 gal Muriatic Acid (31.45)$4.25
2 gal liquid chlorine 12%$8.50
6 gal liquid chlorine 6% (I’ve used 3 of these)$15.90
4# cyanuric acid (used less than half) $19.16
6 filters (on my 1st one after the one that came with the pool)$22.33
total$87.18

Stuff I wasted my money on
Timer (plug has a “reset” button I have to hit every time, timer doesn’t work with this)$12.78
chlorine floater$7.46
test strip$10.65
test strip (because buying them once wasn’t enough)$12.78
5# Cal Hypo X2 (I will still probably use this)$53.25
5# Trichlor Tabs x3 (might keep some for long weekends away or else resell)$63.90
PH Reducer (I will use this if I run out of muriatic acid)$13.85
total$174.67

So, there you have it, $1347.68. A more informed person would have spent closer to $1200, and under $1000 if you have a really good well or free water. I’m guessing, but could be way off, that the chlorine and filters I have should last me through the end of July.

I’m going to try to keep track of my spending for the rest of the season and see how much I really end up spending on chemicals and anything else I think I need to buy. I think a better ladder is in my future for some older relatives. I’m also going to track how many swims we get to figure out per/swim cost, because why not?

Reactions: jseyfert3
Water, approx 5200 gal (I live 5 miles from water hauling company & place they fill up, I can’t imagine getting it for much less)
If you live in a city it’s likely cheaper. My 15,000 gallons was about $100.

In any case my pool was the cheapest part of getting a pool. Mine included over $4000 in materials to build a fence though, which counters the cheaper water from being in a city by far…

If you live in a city it’s likely cheaper. My 15,000 gallons was about $100.

In any case my pool was the cheapest part of getting a pool. Mine included over $4000 in materials to build a fence though, which counters the cheaper water from being in a city by far…
When did you buy/build the fence? Building materials add up quick, that's for sure!

I'm way beyond the $1347.68 you spent, so you are lucky! The pool alone, bought mid pandemic, was $1,500. I used water from my hose, so that was about $40. The rest of the stuff I didn't keep track of my costs but it's up there. I am still working on building the stairs and installing the solar panels. Even so, it was totally worth it. Without it, last summer would have been much more boring!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm way beyond the $1347.68 you spent, so you are lucky! The pool alone, bought mid pandemic, was $1,500. I used water from my hose, so that was about $40. The rest of the stuff I didn't keep track of my costs but it's up there. I am still working on building the stairs and installing the solar panels. Even so, it was totally worth it. Without it, last summer would have been much more boring!
Right on, think of all the swimming you got to do last year! I spent mine in my kiddie pool while you were under water.

my set of stairs was probably the most expensive thing since the pool itself was a gift.

besides the undisclosed extra costs of these "cheap" pools is the work of ground prep/leveling before the "less than 90 minutes to set up!" :rolleyes:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.