Cost efficient way to maintain a pool NOT being used for swimming?

rum_ham

Jul 1, 2019
NW Georgia
My husband & I bought a home with an above ground pool. We have plans to remove it, but it is built into a large deck. We want to save up some money to remodel the deck when we remove the pool. What is the best way to keep the water from becoming a mosquito haven, while not worrying about use for swimming? We have been running the filter daily & adding liquid chlorine bleach in the evenings. This works pretty well, but the bleach doesn’t seem to last very long. We are pouring gallons in every day to combat the algae. We are really looking for a cost efficient way to just keep the algae & mosquitoes away, since it isn’t being used. I’m now wondering if we would save money in the long run by doing the full BBB method & maintaining? Or maybe adding a stabilizer to extend chlorine life? Again, no one is getting in this pool or using it. Any input is greatly appreciated :)

It is a 27’ wide, 52” deep above ground pool

You are going to have a hard time keeping the water clean enough to avoid mosquitoes without just bringing it up to swim conditions. I think there are products/methods that essentially add an oil slick layer to the pool to prevent mosquitoes but I don't know environmentally friendly they are. Plus you might also start to grow anaerobic bacteria (which stinks like a swamp) and create a safety hazard.

Alternatively you can drain it completely. This will ruin the liner but the frame could still be salvaged if it is in reasonable shape.

You are going to have a hard time keeping the water clean enough to avoid mosquitoes without just bringing it up to swim conditions. I think there are products/methods that essentially add an oil slick layer to the pool to prevent mosquitoes but I don't know environmentally friendly they are. Plus you might also start to grow anaerobic bacteria (which stinks like a swamp) and create a safety hazard.

Alternatively you can drain it completely. This will ruin the liner but the frame could still be salvaged if it is in reasonable shape.

Yeah, I was curious whether it was going to end up in an either/or situation. Either it’s swim ready or it’s drained, with no middle ground. I was warned that draining it would cause it to collapse & become a junk pile. I was also told it is an insurance liability due to the fall risk. It is built into our deck, so theoretically it could be fallen down into.

If the pool is relatively clean now and the equipment is working, it should not cost much to keep in clean. You will need a good test kit though. Once you have that post a complete list of test results and this community can help guide you to the most cost effective way to manage the pool.

Or yes, just drain. You can buy pre-made deck railing at homedepot/lowes. You can put that around the hole where the pool was to make it safe.

i would remove the pool and put up a railing. Put an ad in the local Craig’s list or community board, Facebook, etc... Post that you have a free AGP, all they have to do is take it down and haul it off. It’s a win /win for everyone. I can’t see having a slightly swampy pool is less of a hazard than a deck w/o rails.

It doesn’t sound like you are planning to work on the deck right away so this could be the best option.

Reactions: CarolineM
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.