Cost Comparison for Cyanuric Acid?

Walmart here has Clorox brand stabilizer (CYA): $21/4 lb bag. I know most Clorox products are not highly regarded for good reason at TFP...same with stabilizer?
It was OK. But only the CYA. The 4 in 1 CYA something something was not.

No matter if it's salt, cyanuric acid, or calcium chloride, make sure the bag says 100% and/or pure. Even if you bought it last time and checked it then. Manufacturers change things all the time and you'd rather know before you dump it in.

Reactions: DanF
Just "Dirt"? If that's all it is, then I should look at it.
I have a water softener, but the salt I get for it is not in large crystals. It is in white pellets. I have also read when buying that particular salt there are different varieties. I can't remember the difference. In Morton softener sale there is a white bag and a yellow bag (I think).

Pellets versus “crystals” (granular) is a function of the softener … some softeners require pellets. When my softener was installed the tech specifically told me NOT to use pellets because of the way the brine tank was designed it would cause “bridging” which means the salt would turn into a giant lump that wouldn’t dissolve at the proper rate. So some softeners require pellets and some require crystals. I like buying the crystals because I can get a bunch of it on sale and store it. Then I can use it in the pool or in the softener. I rarely if ever add salt to the pool though.

In most markets the yellow bag has ‘ iron sequestrant’ or something like that. Blue bag is plain. In warm water , the salt dissolves in minutes.
Thanks for the tip on Blue Diamond Solar Salt Crystals (Blue bag)! I picked up two 40# bags for $7.19 per bag. The crystals are really quite clear and the do dissolve quickly. $7.19 is way better than $11.99!

Crystals are clear but there's plenty of dirt in the salt ... here's a picture of a pure white 5 gallon bucket that I put about 6 lbs of softener salt in and added water (don't ask why, I like to experiment on things ...) -

IMG_4216.jpeg

The bottom of that bucket was white ... the gray bottom is basically a layer of very fine sand a silt. Notice the dirt ring around the bucket wall ... again, that bucket was pure white when I started and the water added to it was fresh from the tap.

Nothing wrong with it, and your pool cleaner will certainly pick it all up, just good to know in case you dump a bunch of salt in a see a dirt pile on the bottom.

Thanks for the tip on Blue Diamond Solar Salt Crystals (Blue bag)! I picked up two 40# bags for $7.19 per bag. The crystals are really quite clear and the do dissolve quickly. $7.19 is way better than $11.99!
I was at HD today (Austin), that solar salt was $6.97, $6.27 if you bought 6.

Last time I bought Puri-Tec brand off Amazon.

It shows $22 for 5 lbs right now.

Prices have increased.
Yeah, I ordered 2 bags off Amazon a few days ago, $22 total, but shows April 22 delivery. I'd always bought 4# Clorox CYA in the past from Walmart, but it's $21 now. Getting expensive to own a pool!

I just bought a 7# bag of the stuff (SunCoast) at my local Pinch-a-Penny for $50.00! It has gone up $10.00 since last August.
Amazon has a 25# box of "Rx Clear" for $83.00.
Where is a good source of CYA?
For that price, why not just get the gallon liquid jugs for $42 at (the cursed place) Leslies. With discounts, you can get it for $10 less. I have a jug in the garage that's 3 years old and still good for the initial seasonal opening. As the season goes on, I just drop pucks in the floater, or throw a bag or two of dichlor in.

For that price, why not just get the gallon liquid jugs for $42 at (the cursed place) Leslies. With discounts, you can get it for $10 less. I have a jug in the garage that's 3 years old and still good for the initial seasonal opening. As the season goes on, I just drop pucks in the floater, or throw a bag or two of dichlor in.
Or Home Depot or Walmart at about $4.50

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You snooze, you lose.
I waited on the Puri-Tec Cyanuric Acid from Amazon. It's no longer available. I've looked elsewhere - same story.
What's the latest of an inexpensive source of Cyanuric acid?

I just ordered 20 lbs of CYA for 118 shipped. Stock is limited. My local store has liquid -- I'm hesitant as last time, it did not raise the levels as I had calculated. Sticking with granules.
I just ordered "Rx Clear Swimming Pool Stabilizer and Conditioner " from Amazon. $95.00 for 25#. I hope it works. Label says 98% Cyanuric acid.

Holy cr@p, glad I ordered 25# Puritech last year from Ebay ($58). Sure hope these prices come back down someday!

It is $80 on Ebay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-102915.png
    Screenshot_20220420-102915.png
    342.4 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.