Cost benefit of the swg

blazin

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2017
Franklin, MA
I'm looking into a swg for my aqualink system. Doing a cost analysis on my chlorine consumption. Assuming 3 loss a day and about 85 "sunny" days in my season. I'll need about 50-60 gallons of 12.5% bleach a season. Add in a couple slams and maybe we're at 70 gallons.

Price is $2.99/ gal here

$210/season

Jandy 1400 is ~$700.

Looks like I'd need 3+ seasons to break even, but ++ on convenience.

Does this seem reasonable to those that have converted? What's the actual life on the salt cells?

Also, I have the iaqualink system, I know using their system is recommended for best compatibility but is there a better alternative?

There have been a few members here that have run a cost analysis on SWG vs Bleach.
The general consensus is that financially it works out to being about the same in the long run.
The SWG beats out the bleach when it comes to convenience, unless you can automate your bleach additions.
I opted for a Stenner pump on a timer to accomplish this task, and have been more than happy with it for the past 3+ years.

B,

If the only reason you want to switch to a saltwater system is the cost of chlorine, then I would not switch...

The biggest benefit to having a SWCG is convenience... I also like the "feel" of saltwater.. When I swim in a standard pool, I feel like I need a shower when I get out.. When I swim in a saltwater pool, I feel like I just took a shower when I get out.

Cells last about 5 years... but depends on the how hard and how long they are run. A cell needs to be rated for at least 2 x the volume of the pool..

You have to run the cell long enough to generate the chlorine you need.. This is often 12 hours are more.. This can often be a shock for single speed pump owners..

When you have an automation system, it would be a mistake to try and integrate an off brand SWCG into your system.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: markayash
I agree with Jimrahbe's comments on the pump. If you have a single speed pump, then the most expensive part of the SWCG equation is the electricity required for the long pump run times. With a VS pump this is not an issue. The extra electricity required for the longer pump run times costs more than bleach or the SWCG itself. In the long run, it may be cheaper to change the pump to a VS pump than to pay the electric bill.

I got this from an old post:

"IntelliChlor Model IC20, IC40 and IC60
Input: 95-130 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 220 Watts (2 AMP) or 220-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz, 220 Watts (1 AMP).
Output: 22-39 VDC @ 7.5 AMPS maximum from the Power Center. "

So watts drawn by SWCG are not a big deal. It's the kilowatts drawn by the single speed pump running 12 or more hours a day that are the problem.

Reactions: Oly
This is a useful comparison table.
Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

Choosing a larger SWCG would decrease your pump run times. It might be possible to OVERSIZE the SWCG and have significantly less pump run times and negate the extra electricity cost. Perhaps someone with experience with a large SWCG and single speed pump will chime in. BTW, I run my single speed pump only 3 hours per day during the summer. That's enough for filtration for me. Water is crystal clear. With heavy swimming I may cut the pump on manually.

Last edited:
I have the Jandy Aquapure 1400 and there is no way I would go back to manually dosing or a stenner pump. My first unit lasted just shy of seven years. It runs year round since we do not close our pool. One thing no one takes into consideration when comparing cost is your time, gas, and wear and tear on your car. What is that worth?

Reactions: mguzzy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The convenience of your chlorine levels being almost automated (only need occasional testing and tweaking) is priceless. Even if the SWG were moderately more costly, the freedom from buying bleach is liberating. I believe $$ wise is is close to a wash. I say that in the mist of struggling with a SWG at the moment, but last season was my first "trouble free pool". (My first year with a SWG) I've been bleaching for years based off the things I've learned here, and I had 'trouble free chemistry', however buying, daily dosing, and testing chlorine and such for vacations wasn't quite what I'd consider a trouble free pool.

Reactions: mguzzy
Switch to swcg and oversize your cell. This is a plug for CircuPool, which I use. They'll increase your unit for a dollar (I'm assuming their deal is still on.) I'm running a RJ30+ at 40% 24/7 and it more than keeps up. I moved it from a 14K pool and ran it 4 hours a day. With a 7 year cell life rated at 24 hrs/day and no more lugging gallons of chlorine around, it's a no brainer for me. No, I'm NOT compensated by CircuPool, just a very satisfied customer.

Reactions: MyAZPool
I agree with ComputerGuyInOLA and DirtyRat91, you can't put a price on the time you save. Actually I can, in my job I bill hourly. I think I calculated the cost of my initial investment to put the SWG broke even at about 5 or 6 years if I was to only include chlorine costs. What I didn't realize is how much easier it made all the other chemistry. Since Chlorine is created continuously with a SWG and at a slower rate than jug dumping it made for a more stable chemical environment for the whole pool. Once I open the pool in the spring, and I get the initial chemistry dialed in, I only have to tweak things here and there the rest of the season. If I include the amount of TIME I saved putting in a SWG, I easily broke even in the first year.

And since I have to run my filter for a certain amount of time every day anyway, the SWG generation is adjusted to that amount of time. They go hand in hand. If I run longer, I turn the SWG down, If I decided to run shorter, I turn the SWG up a bit to compensate. One of these days I'll convert to a VS pump and I'll have to put sync the SWG operation with a matching flow of the pump. Till then it works just fine.

Last edited:
Good thoughts! I am single speed so that'll be a huge draw until it's swapped.

Hmm maybe I'll look into the stenner pump.
FYI, I'm in NY (similar swimming season to you) and my pool is in direct sun the majority of the day. I run my single speed pump 7 hours a day with the SWCG (RJ45) at 50% and I had to turn it down to 40%. I only run for 7 hrs b/c it's the time when my kids may be swimming w/o me there. Otherwise I would only run it 6 hours/day. Prior to my SWCG I was adding a 1/2 gallon of 8.25% each day. For me the big deal was not having to go buy the bleach throughout the summer. As I'm sure you know, with a Stenner you still need to bring bleach / chlorine home.

I have my chlorine and acid added with Stenner pumps. I add chlorine and acid every six weeks.For the people siting advantages to having a SWG- You had to purchase and add salt. Don't you have to go to the store to buy other chemicals? I'm not seeing the time savings or " gas and wear and tear on vehicles"

Reactions: BowserB
We got our pool up and running in May. Added all the salt, CYA.... in the last 10 weeks all I have added is some MA to reduce PH. I have no reason to step foot in any store to buy anything for our pool. I test twice a week just to see where I am at and my levels are always what i expect to see. Pool life could not be more simple and enjoyable for us. :cheers:

Reactions: Nectarologist
I have a Stenner pump too and I fill up the tank about once every 4-5 weeks using 12.5% sodium hypochlorite from Ocean State Job Lot,($2.99/gal) which is about 2 miles away. The only added risk to liquid chlorine is splashing on your nice clothes, so always change into your crappy clothes before handling/filling. I have never been in a pool with a SWG, so I don't know about the water feel difference.

Don't you have to go to the store to buy other chemicals? I'm not seeing the time savings or " gas and wear and tear on vehicles"

I get everything upfront for the season. I have the big dump of getting the salt and balance right at opening and i estimate how many weekly top offs i'll need and buy that as well. One trip. If we get an extended heat wave (95-105) ill need to take a mid season trip to get stabilizer. Although we dont swim much the first and last month, i get about 7 months open. I'd rather look at the pool than the trampoiline cover.

For me, the 'cost' is actually more, but the time saved is worth every penny with a busy work/life schedule.

I have my chlorine and acid added with Stenner pumps. I add chlorine and acid every six weeks.For the people siting advantages to having a SWG- You had to purchase and add salt. Don't you have to go to the store to buy other chemicals? I'm not seeing the time savings or " gas and wear and tear on vehicles"
No not really.. except in the beginning of the season. I add salt to counter act the dilution from the winter rains (a bag or two and that is all of 12bux), after that I don't add salt. The salt content stays the same since it doesn't evaporate with the water.. I just add water. (In the 15 years I have had an SWG this is the first year we had late spring rains that forced me to drain the pool causing me to add more salt later). Also once I get my CYA and other chems balanced at the beginning of the year there is very little I have to add over the course of the season. MA is usually about it, and I keep that on hand most of the time. So really no wear and tear on the car just to get pool chems.

The wear and tear is my grocery bill goes up during the summer 'cause the kids are home from college! :p ;)

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.