Correct way to abandon in-floor system?

acroy

May 11, 2010
Dallas TX
had the pool re-plastered - in-floor system was fully functional but never used it, didn't do anything to keep the pool clean. I had the contractor abandon the jets in the pool.
Now, how to I 'properly' abandon the water distribution system @ the pump? I assume just cut it all off and cap it.

IMG_20211220_132234800_HDR.jpg

pic.jpg

A,

A lot of pool with IFCS do not have wall returns (eyeballs).. Does your pool have wall returns?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Yes
in floor system been shut off for years, using wall returns only. one powers the pressure-side cleaner, the others spin the pool water with the smile-shaped eyeballs. works great, really good circulation even with the pump on low.

A,

Not sure what else you can do other than to cut off all the IFCS pipes and cap them off..

I don't have an IFCS, so hopefully one of our IFCS owners can chime in.

As a side note, in your pics it appears your IFCS is "on".. Are they just old pics?

Thanks,

Jim R.

A,

Not sure what else you can do other than to cut off all the IFCS pipes and cap them off..

I don't have an IFCS, so hopefully one of our IFCS owners can chime in.

As a side note, in your pics it appears your IFCS is "on".. Are they just old pics?

Thanks,

Jim R.
nope it's off
I hate those confusing valves so I changed the handle orientation :) handle parallel = on, perpendicular = off

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I don't see any issues capping everything off. I don't think I'd want to leave it as is, on the off chance that water were to get in the lines and freeze over the winter. You have no way of blowing those lines out any longer. If it were me I would probably dig down a little bit and cap all of the zone lines off just below grade. Then completely remove the supply line to the zone valve as well. This would allow you to get rid of the 3 way valve downstream of your SWG.

--Jeff

Reactions: acroy and Jimrahbe
I don't see any issues capping everything off. I don't think I'd want to leave it as is, on the off chance that water were to get in the lines and freeze over the winter. You have no way of blowing those lines out any longer. If it were me I would probably dig down a little bit and cap all of the zone lines off just below grade. Then completely remove the supply line to the zone valve as well. This would allow you to get rid of the 3 way valve downstream of your SWG.

--Jeff
this was my thought as well... get rid of as much of it as possible. Dallas area, pool stays 'open' year round, no need to blow it out, but want to abandon it cleanly.

Dallas area, pool stays 'open' year round, no need to blow it out,
That was essentially my point. If those lines get full, and you guys have a couple days of freezing weather, you might have some split pipes on your hand.

Sounds like you've got a plan.

--Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.