Correct Sequence for Correcting Multiple Pool Issues?

Jan 15, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
I'm looking for input from the experts on the correct sequence and timing of tasks to get my pool in shape for the season. Hope this is the right forum for this post.

I'm trying to remedy a number of issues at the same time, including persistent but minimal yellow algae, and calcium build-up on the glass waterline tile, and chemical issues.

The current chemistry looks like this:
1) high CYA (177ppm)
2) high Calcium Hardness (411ppm)
3) high Phosphates (344ppb)
4) TDS (2000ppm)

After some work, pH is now reading 7.2, Alkalinity is reading 120, Free Chlorine is 3ppm and Total Chlorine is reading 3ppm.

The tile guy is intending to drain the pool to do his work, which seems convenient given the need to replace some of the water to re-balance the chemicals. But because we're nearing the temperature danger zone for draining the pool here in Phoenix, this will be a quick drain/refill, scheduled to happen 10 days out.

What is the consensus on treating the yellow algae given this situation?
a) try to work on it before the pool is drained?
b) perform some remedial work during the few hours the pool is empty?
c) ignore it until after the drain/refill and then follow recommended yellow algae removal processes?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

IMG_4099.jpeg

Hey Hoover !! The CYA is the most important part, and as luck would have it, you need to drain 83 % of your water to get a preferred CYA of 30 for liquid chlorine users. That will make fighting whatever is left that much easier.

* also, phosphates are a load of bull feathers. Petco has aisles and aisles of dog food and it never once created a dog. If algae can't live in properly chlorinated water, it doesn't matter how much 'algae food' you have.

TDS is bullfeathers too. Chlorine is a dissolved solid, as is CYA and baking soda. All good things. Having the total dissolved value without knowing any of the individual values means absolutely ZERO.

But both sound scary when the pool store tells you about them while ringing up another $200 in bogus chemicals.

Hey Hoover !! The CYA is the most important part, and as luck would have it, you need to drain 83 % of your water to get a preferred CYA of 30 for liquid chlorine users. That will make fighting whatever is left that much easier.
Terrific. Thanks for this info, and thanks for the drain calculation. I'll be lots more diligent about managing CYA input after the refill. Cheers!

Reactions: Newdude
* also, phosphates are a load of bull feathers. Petco has aisles and aisles of dog food and it never once created a dog. If algae can't live in properly chlorinated water, it doesn't matter how much 'algae food' you have.

TDS is bullfeathers too. Chlorine is a dissolved solid, as is CYA and baking soda. All good things. Having the total dissolved value without knowing any of the individual values means absolutely ZERO.

But both sound scary when the pool store tells you about them while ringing up another $200 in bogus chemicals.
Thanks for this insight Newdude! Being new to pool ownership, it's really confusing trying to process input from the pool store, the weekly pool guy, the specialized trades, etc. (Everyone is trying to sell you SOMETHING!) This site is a great resource that helps make sense of it all with great technical reference. And the responsiveness of forum members to inquiries like mine makes it easier and faster than consulting any other source! (In separate post, I'll pose another question I have about managing scale build-up on the tile in my hard water environment.) Thanks again.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.