Pegasus_RPG

Jun 10, 2019
Las Vegas, NV
Hello everyone.

I'm completely re-plumbing my equipment pad because:
  1. I just got a new VSP and it doesn't line up to the old pump
  2. I'm adding a SWCG
  3. The heater could be rotated for shorter pipe distance
Unfortunately due to no room to splice in pipe by the pump (looks like it had been previously repaired twice,) I have to cut out the valves too and re-plumb those. So I got new Jandy Never-Lube valves made of CPVC. Their instructions say to use Weld-on CPVC Gray, and sure enough when I check the Weld-on site, their 724 cement is rated for chemical/caustic applications and can be used with CPVC (valves) as well as PVC (pipes) of all schedules.

The problem I'm having is that nobody in my city seems to carry this product (or Oatey's equivalent EP42) and I would have to order a case to the tune of $200 when I only need a quart. So what risk would I be taking using something commonly available like Oatey's Medium Orange or Weld-On's Flowguard Gold?

Homedeot has the 2 pack with the primer for $8. And several other choices. If there aren’t any nearby I would gladly pay the $5 shipping to only have to buy 1 and not 200.

For pool use, regular pvc glue or cpvc glue works just fine as long as you give it plenty of time to dry. If it's a critical, high pressure application, then you probably can't join pvc to cpvc. See...

While the Oaty website says “Can I use All Purpose Cement to join PVC to CPVC? No. It is not recommended because it takes longer for CPVC to finish the curing process necessary to complete a strong bond after the cement is applied. CPVC is also rated for hot water use which will affect cure times. PVC is not rated for hot water temperatures.” We feel that for pool uses it is acceptable. See...

I've always used Weld-On 746 and never had an issue.

Oatey's All Purpose will work on PVC and CPVC but it isn't designed to transition between the two materials. I have however used that glue to join pipe to the valves and it held 60 PSI for 3 months without issue.

Last edited:
I use rain or shine blue for everything not seen and clear heavy duty for above ground with clear primer cleaner. I let any cpvc sit a full day or more to dry no issues. I have twice used it within a few hours on an emergency punch and never had a leak. At pool pressures it's pretty safe to mix and match with enough dry time.

Thanks, everyone! I found that Granger can get it in a day, so going with Weld-On 724 and its associated P70 primer. Pricey, and from what you all say sounds like overkill for pool use, but they're explicitly for caustic substances and work on CPVC as well as PVC, so I figure "do it right and do it once." Plus the heavier-body and slower-setting cement will allow me time to set the four joints I have to do at the same time (lowering the valve + elbow assemblies onto the pipes from the ground,) especially since I can't twist them on.

Reactions: SoCalPoolFool
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.