Correct Glue For ABS to PVC Flex

Jun 10, 2016
Chesterfield
So, bought some quick connect unions from the pool place to make up a new flex connection from outlet of pump to multiport valve. The Hayward units they sold me are ABS (SP-1495). Trying to figure out which glue to use or should I just take them back and try and find some PVC units? Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• PXL_20220725_155809421.jpg
    PXL_20220725_155809421.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 6
DELETED

Actually, check local code if possible. Solvent welds of ABS to PVC are not allowed under some building codes for pressurized water applications. So if that’s the case, you might have to return the coupling OR, if you choose to just go ahead with it and not worry about code, then do the weld with an all purpose cement and hope for the best.

The other option would be to do a transition using threaded connections with teflon tape and pipe thread sealant.

Last edited:
Reactions: ja_cain
DELETED

Actually, check local code if possible. Solvent welds of ABS to PVC are not allowed under some building codes for pressurized water applications. So if that’s the case, you might have to return the coupling OR, if you choose to just go ahead with it and not worry about code, then do the weld with an all purpose cement and hope for the best.

The other option would be to do a transition using threaded connections with teflon tape and pipe thread sealant.
Not sure on code here in Chesterfield, VA. I don't even understand why pool places sell these fittings or why Hayward decided to make them out of ABS when I'm sure the majority of piping is PVC. I have some of the universal in the red bottle and might just try it. Thanks for the respons.

Justin

Not sure on code here in Chesterfield, VA. I don't even understand why pool places sell these fittings or why Hayward decided to make them out of ABS when I'm sure the majority of piping is PVC. I have some of the universal in the red bottle and might just try it. Thanks for the respons.

Justin

Yeah, sorry, it’s annoying to get different materials like that.

Is the weld on the suction side of the pump or the discharge side? I wouldn’t be too concerned on the suction side. I’d be more mindful of the discharge side connection.

Regular PVC cement/glue works fine as long as you give it plenty of time to dry.

I would give it 12 hours to fully cure.

For Female Socket SP0735S VALVE:

The SP0735S VALVE is manufactured utilizing ABS.

Utilize a solvent cement made for both PVC and ABS. Cut pipe square.

Chamfer and deburr pipe.

Surfaces must be cleaned and free of dirt, moisture, oil and other foreign material. Apply primer to inside socket surface.

Use a scrubbing motion. Repeat applications may be necessary to soften the surface of the socket.

Next, liberally apply primer to the male end of the pipe to the length of the socket depth.

Again apply to the socket, without delay, apply cement to the pipe while the surface is still wet with primer.

Next apply cement lightly, but uniformly to the inside of the socket.

Apply a second coat of cement to the pipe, and assemble the pipe into the socket, rotating the pipe 1/4 turn in one direction as it is slipped to full depth of the socket.

The pipe should be held in position for approx. 30 seconds to allow the connection to “set”.

After assembly wipe off excess cement.

Full set time is a minimum of 30 minutes at 60 to 100 F.

For full cure see the information on the Solvent cement can.

1658769056080.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Agree with @JamesW - hard pipe is the best to use. Flexible pipe allows too much movement (stretching, pulling, bending) on the glue joint and will lead to failure. I know flexible PVC is used a lot in your area but it’s second rate compared to SCH40 PVC hard pipe. It’s used because installers don’t like paying guys to sit around making lots of glue joints, not because it’s what is best to use.

PVC glue usually sets up in a couple of minutes. Give it 20 minutes to be safe. My well pressure goes to 50 psi and my joints always hold in 10 to 20 minutes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.