Correct amount of chlorine for a salt water pool?

Bosqueboy

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 29, 2007
Amherst, VA
While web surfing the other day, i found a site that recommended 0.5 ppm chlorine for a salt water pool. I'm having a little trouble understanding why a salt water pool would require less than the normally recommended 1-3 ppm. Anyone have the answer? I've always set it to 3 ppm and now wonder if I'm overdoing it!

While web surfing the other day, i found a site that recommended 0.5 ppm chlorine for a salt water pool. I'm having a little trouble understanding why a salt water pool would require less than the normally recommended 1-3 ppm. Anyone have the answer? I've always set it to 3 ppm and now wonder if I'm overdoing it!
If anything, your probably under-doing it. 😉

Without knowing what your CYA level is, there is no way to know what your FC level should be.

How are you testing your pool water? Add your test kit(s) to your signature.
Post a full set of current test results from one of the recommended test kits.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Water temperature

Reactions: BowserB
What Emily said. In addition, the test for CYA is a bit subjective, and it's hard to not look at the tube and say "that's too high, I think its nn." Accordingly, I use the TFP SWCG FC chart but use the FC minimum and target for the next level of CYA. My CYA recently showed as 70 (3-5ppm), but I use 4-6ppm as my FC standard. I feel like running FC a little high makes it more bacteria and algae resistant, and I really don't want to have to SLAM my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.