copper troubles

AndyPandy85

Jun 8, 2020
southern Illinois
Hello, first time posting. having trouble getting things right this year. I messed up and did not put my cover on over the winter. my pool is usually crystal clear by this time. Im having a problem with a blue type film on the surface so I had the water tested.
free ch 0.0
total ch 4.3
combined 4.3
pH 7.4
hardness 104
alkalinity 122
cynauric acid 82
copper 2.6
iron 0

at the start of the season I always use copper sulfate, this year i obviously used way to much. please help!!! im supposed to be having a birthday party for my daughter in 4 days and I dont want every one to be died blue..

Copper is 2.6? I thought above 0.3 was an issue and you're 8-9x that high. Any chance you can drain and refill or perhaps do a full water exchange (to avoid shifting the liner when drained)? This will also bring down your CYA levels - if the pool store results are correct and your CYA is 80+, you'll need a lot of chlorine to keep up with keeping the pool sanitary.

We never recommend copper products. We also recommend getting a high-quality test kit so you can dial in the other chemical levels. I would highly recommend you get either a TFT-100 or a Taylor K-2006C.

Reactions: AndyPandy85
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I agree. ^^ You have two things working against you right now. Excessive copper and you are using pol store testing. Since you have a party on its way, your quickest resolution may be a healthy water exchange which should help with both the copper and getting ahead of the algae. But never drain 100%. Leave about 1-2 ft in the bottom to keep the liner in-place and shell stable. If you chose that route, do a couple things now:
1. Order a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. You need to test your own water.
2. Once the pool is full again, use a simple test kit if you have one to focus on the FC, CYA, and pH. Keep the FC around 3-5 ppm and the pH in the mid to upper 7 range.

Post a full set of your own numbers later and we'll help you get everything perfect from there.

Reactions: AndyPandy85
Welcome to TFP! :wave: I agree. ^^ You have two things working against you right now. Excessive copper and you are using pol store testing. Since you have a party on its way, your quickest resolution may be a healthy water exchange which should help with both the copper and getting ahead of the algae. But never drain 100%. Leave about 1-2 ft in the bottom to keep the liner in-place and shell stable. If you chose that route, do a couple things now:
1. Order a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit. You need to test your own water.
2. Once the pool is full again, use a simple test kit if you have one to focus on the FC, CYA, and pH. Keep the FC around 3-5 ppm and the pH in the mid to upper 7 range.

Post a full set of your own numbers later and we'll help you get everything perfect from there.
Thank you for the response, I will definitely order that test kit, and do a drain and refill..is there anything that can get me safely through Friday without draining?

is there anything that can get me safely through Friday without draining?
You can be in the water as long as you do not exceed the FC SLAM level for your CYA (which would be over 30 ppm) so that's not an issue. And also as long as you can see to the bottom of the pool. You also need chlorine ASAP, but how much? We don't really trust the pool store's CYA test, but let's assume it's 80. Your FC SLAM level would be 31. Without your own test kit, you can't be 100% accurate, so I would recommend simply adding 2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine today and then 2 gallons again tomorrow. After that, just add one gallon per day until the kit arrives. Don't be surprised if the chlorine creates water color changes or potential stains because of the copper, but you must have chlorine in the water for swimmers. Maybe none of that will happen - fingers crossed.

Once you get the test kit, post a full set of results and we'll coach you from there.

Copper is 2.6? I thought above 0.3 was an issue and you're 8-9x that high. Any chance you can drain and refill or perhaps do a full water exchange (to avoid shifting the liner when drained)? This will also bring down your CYA levels - if the pool store results are correct and your CYA is 80+, you'll need a lot of chlorine to keep up with keeping the pool sanitary.

We never recommend copper products. We also recommend getting a high-quality test kit so you can dial in the other chemical levels. I would highly recommend you get either a TFT-100 or a Taylor K-2006C.
Thanks a million!!

You can be in the water as long as you do not exceed the FC SLAM level for your CYA (which would be over 30 ppm) so that's not an issue. And also as long as you can see to the bottom of the pool. You also need chlorine ASAP, but how much? We don't really trust the pool store's CYA test, but let's assume it's 80. Your FC SLAM level would be 31. Without your own test kit, you can't be 100% accurate, so I would recommend simply adding 2 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine today and then 2 gallons again tomorrow. After that, just add one gallon per day until the kit arrives. Don't be surprised if the chlorine creates water color changes or potential stains because of the copper, but you must have chlorine in the water for swimmers. Maybe none of that will happen - fingers crossed.

Once you get the test kit, post a full set of results and we'll coach you from there.
Thank you for the advice, I'll do the liquid chlorine, wait for the kit, and hope lol.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.