Copper level

Jan 5, 2017
sydney, au
Hi all, just a question.

My copper level is 0.7, iron at 0

The copper level isn't rising, last week it was 0.8.

I think it's like this because a little while ago I added an algaecide (tropical something). I've decided to never use algaecide, sticking with cheap bleach.

Any reason for concern?
Rust?
Safe to swim in?
Will refilling the pool every so often bring the level down?

Thanks guys

Depending on how the test was conducted and how accurate it was, anything over 0.3 and it can be troublesome, increasing the potential for pool staining and/or color changes to blonde hair or fingernails. Other factors come into play like the current chlorine and pH levels.

The sooner you can exchange more water to reduce that copper level the better off you'll be. In the meantime, watch to ensure the pH doesn't get too high and ensure your FC and CYA are balanced together as noted on the Chlorine Chart (link below). Don't forget to update your pool signature with all of your pool and equipment details which will help later.

I ditto what Pat said along with a caution to do it in steps since you have a fiberglass pool. Fiberglass pools are not meant to be drained as the water is what provides support outwardly for the shell. Do it in small batches and refill it again. Let that mix up and then repeat as necessary.

Fiberglass has this affinity for copper stains too.....so its good that you've stopped using that algaecide. Which by the way doesn't kill algae anyway.....it just works to prevent it.

Maddie :flower:

Thankyou

Is using rain water from a tank OK for a pool? I have a tank of approximately 12k litres. The tank water itself appears to be clean. Bad idea?

Test the pH, TA, & CH of the rainwater in the tank and see what you would be starting with.

Depends what that water picked up while flowing into the tank.

Do you sanitize the tank water?

We swam in a pool with a copper level of 1.0, do you think that posed any health risk? What if someone swallowed some of that water?

Thankyou

No health risk like that.

Copper causes staining including turning hair green.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.