Holly Springs, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I wasn't sure where to put this post. I've been browsing the housing market for the past year. My wife and I may consider a move if everything is right. Things on the list to convince us to move - first floor master bedroom, 3 car garage, and a good sized backyard that has a pool or a pool can be built. The first floor master is the main search criteria my real estate agent set up since my wife has arthritis that will eventually require knee replacements.

So another house pops up in the search today. It has a beautiful looking backyard with pool. Reading the description, the pool is described as copper ionization. Uh-oh, I don't want that. So my question is how difficult would it to convert to a SWG pool? Here is a link to the house: https://www.redfin.com/NC/Holly-Springs/108-Roslyn-Hills-Dr-27540/home/41355867

The house is a no for me but I would like to be prepared for the next one. If there is one like this, there will be more.

You would need to drain the pool to get the copper out and treat any copper staining.

Don’t lose any sleep over it. While Ionizers are no bueno, so is the shock and tab method used by the overwhelming majority of pool owners, Either because they were told to, or their service company did it for them.

My CYA was 300+ when we moved in so to keep the pool I woulda had to drain it anyway.

You know darn well we can help fix anything…… even jungle swamps with their own habitat. Buy a cool house. We’ll help with the rest.

Reactions: Msch99
I don't know which is scarier: a house with a mystery pool already there or the horror of building a pool again.

That is a good question. Every time I tour a "for sale" house with a pool, one of the first things I do is head for the equipment pad. UV system - nope I don't want that. Puck chlorinator - nope. Spa - rather not have.

But when I go to sell my house, buyers will see basic vinyl pool, no water features and no automation. That'll turn them off.

That is a good question. Every time I tour a "for sale" house with a pool, one of the first things I do is head for the equipment pad. UV system - nope I don't want that. Puck chlorinator - nope. Spa - rather not have
Ha !! We looked at 3 houses with IG pools and they all had their +\-s. A sweet layout with a shot liner, Ancient equipment, etc. But I kept it in my head that any of them would be only need a fraction of the new build that the house that was ultimately right for us would need.

If any of the other houses were right for us, I would have jumped on them. The cost of my upcoming build legit puts us into the next pricing tier for houses and I could have just started there to find one with a good pool. Lol. Whattayagonnado?

*also worth noting, For the SECOND time I neglected to think of the patio costs to go around said new pool. Pfffffffffft !!! A new pool is less than 10% of the purchase price. (Here anyway). No problem. But. Said patio is its own almost 10%. 😭😭

One of these days I’ll learn.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.