Copper in the Water

Aug 14, 2018
Caseyville
I have a well that collects ground water near my pool (I think the ground water might come from a natural spring). I would like to use this water to refill any evaporated water instead of from the hose (which has municipal water). Although the water coming from the well appears clear (and is being run through its own cartridge filter before hitting the pool), my pool starts to turn green the more water that dumps in from the well. My initial reaction was that it was algae, SLAMing didn't seem to do the trick, so I looked at this forum and I started thinking it was copper. However, I read this: Copper in Pool Water - Further Reading, which suggested that copper rarely comes from ground water. I tried one of those water test kits from Lowes on the water coming out of the well and it showed nothing for iron or copper (ran the test twice and same results for both).

I talked to a water tech at a water filtration company, he thought it might be tannins and suggested I run a little test, which I ran as shown in the picture below:

61490749965__08328700-A413-4A6F-A2E2-D50084241247.JPG
From the left:
  1. Tap water
  2. Tap water with a capful of 7.5% bleach
  3. Well water
  4. Well water with a capful of 7.5% bleach
  5. Well water with .3oz of dichlor
The color change was pretty instant (within 5 minutes). To me that seems like what people describe as copper reacting to the chlorine, but why are the copper tests turning out negative then? Any thoughts or other tests you would like me to run to figure this out, please let me know. Thanks!

That’s not copper. It’s called “natural organic matter” (NOM). What you’re seeing is the reaction of a very high dose of chlorine (a cap full of bleach in that low volume of water is literally over 1000ppm FC) with NOM causing oxidation, color formation and coagulation of the resulting by-products. This is why water treatment facilities use a lot filtration and coagulation processes to remove NOM prior to any chemical treatment processes. Otherwise you get significant fouling of the equipment and formation of disinfection by-products (DBP’s) and trihalomethane’s (THM’s) all of which are very bad for potable water.

I didn’t quite follow you on your water sources - are you saying you have both municipal water and well water?

I have both. The well captures water that was running under the pool during construction and pumps to the nearby lake. It goes off about every 5-10 minutes and outputs about 30 gallons. With the waterfall, I get more evaporation so I thought it’d be nice to use that periodically to offset the evaporation and lower my water bill but not if it is going to cost me more in other areas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.