Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Hello,

The tile contractor was out the other day installing the travertine coping. They are not finished yet but the coping around the hot tub makes the shape more angular than circular and my wife is not really pleased. I am thinking of asking them to grind some of the outside edges to try to give it a more circular look. However, part of me thinks this may damage the coping. i attached a few photos . Has anyone experienced before? Any advice on possible solutions?E7046AEC-DE51-4F05-BAB1-4D78C61FF638.jpeg6FF753DF-D489-4103-ABF3-2BDBB53D6812.jpegB8D9A292-9202-4BBE-8A0E-21F5ADB8C52A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, had same issue. Making that tight radius with straight edge it just cannot be avoided. I had my builder run a bull nose grinder on both inside and outside. I don't have a before pic, looked just like yours, but here's mine now. Now, it will show a different color and roughness on the grind, which some will come out with an acid wash, and over time (4.5 months on mine) such disappears, where mine is now mostly uniform in color and finish. You might ask if they have a polish bull nose bit, but you run the risk of having a polished look compared with facing. My pool coping was factory bull nose, so matched now.

Spa Coping.jpg

Thanks! Your coping looks great. That's the look we are looking for.
If your pool coping is straight edge, it won't match that, but will round out spa. They might do rounded out straight edge for you, but don't know if same outcome as it's all done free hand. Don't expect perfection. Expect it to look rough on grinds till acid wash and much weathering. My grinds was almost solid white at first and gave me an attack thinking I could not reverse it.

Thanks, I will do that this evening. My Spanish isn't good enough to convey that to the tile contractor. Hopefully the building superintendent can communicate that to them.

Demand they send their best tile/stone dresser. One that can do countertop edge quality work. Be there. If they send out a helper with the angle grinder and bit, you will have a mess.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.