Fishersville VA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
First time pool owners! After a 10 month wait the construction starts on our pool next week. They actually delivered the pool today (10,000 gal fiberglass). We had originally decided to not use any coping (correct term?) on the top of the pool. The concrete will come to the fiberglass like is shown below. We are thinking that this would be easier on the legs and bathing suits when sitting on the ledge. But now, after looking at a lot of pool pictures I do not see many pools built like this. Are we making a mistake? Any help and comments are appreciated. Thanks
1624573626929.png

Well, my opinion is that having even just a cement deck coming over the edge of the pool looks much nicer than seeing the top ledge of the fiberglass pool. Those look dated to me, and scream out "Fiberglass Pool!" where as a regular coping (even just the deck cement) looks more permanent. This is my cement deck which came all the way to be coping. Ignore the blue chalk line :laughblue: You can also do fancy tile instead of coping. It would make about a 12" frame around the edge of the pool.
View media item 70334
Maddie 🐞

Well, my opinion is that having even just a cement deck coming over the edge of the pool looks much nicer than seeing the top ledge of the fiberglass pool. Those look dated to me, and scream out "Fiberglass Pool!" where as a regular coping (even just the deck cement) looks more permanent. This is my cement deck which came all the way to be coping. Ignore the blue chalk line :laughblue: You can also do fancy tile instead of coping. It would make about a 12" frame around the edge of the pool.
View media item 70334
Maddie 🐞
Thanks for sharing the picture. That looks great! We're going with a broom finished cantilevered concrete deck on our new build, but I've been unsure as to how it will look in the "real world". Most of the pictures I've seen show the decking after being hosed down or with some sort of glossy sealant. I've been looking for simple pictures of as-is concrete decking/coping combo. I'm feeling much better about it after seeing your pic.

you are correct in noticing almost no pools as you describe - almost all modern pool installs have cantilevered coping (or at a minimum coping that covers the top beam of the pool). I am strongly in favor of coping that visually integrates into your pool deck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.