Coping help, please!

Kerber981

Nov 11, 2020
NY
We just had had our coping installed and found that the edges are SO sharp. I am terrified of all the injuries it’s going to cause. We went with Techobloc Raffinato at the recommendation of the landscaper. I reached out to him and am waiting to hear back - but trying figure out what I should even be asking for. I realize that I agreed so although he recommended he doesn’t have much liability here. Can pavers be buffed? I don’t know what to do and welcome any ideas!!

Reactions: sandy12345
I'll be following your post. I don't have any advice unfortunately- I just had the same coping installed on my pool. My builder originally recommended techo bloc piedmonte but that seemed even rougher on the pool side edge

Reactions: Kerber981
I'll be following your post. I don't have any advice unfortunately- I just had the same coping installed on my pool. My builder originally recommended techo bloc piedmonte but that seemed even rougher on the pool side edge
You have Raffinato? Have you used the pool with it in? I wonder if I am making a bigger deal than it is? But honestly I am pretty worried esp about kids.

Attachments

• 33B98EB6-DD9C-4A26-B0F6-0957BAAD4195.jpeg
    33B98EB6-DD9C-4A26-B0F6-0957BAAD4195.jpeg
    591.1 KB · Views: 223
You have Raffinato? Have you used the pool with it in? I wonder if I am making a bigger deal than it is? But honestly I am pretty worried esp about kids.
I have raffinato cap in nickel grey but I haven't used the pool yet, still waiting on the pebble/plaster and equipment. I did worry a bit about the square edge, but I saw so many modern looking pools online with it instead of bullnose so I went with it. I prefer the look and hope I don't have any safety issue. I have three kids (1yr, 6, 8). There was a bullnose option from techo that I considered (bullnose grande maybe) but didn't like it as much and the cost was more. Hitting a head on that would be brutal too, just without the point to worry about.

So I have raffinado in onyx black and have not had any issue with it what so ever. We have been swimming for almost 2 months and I have a 7 and 9 year old and had 2-7 year olds swim at parties with no problem.
It is colored all the way through so technically they could probably ease the edge a tad if u found it to be a problem.

So I have raffinado in onyx black and have not had any issue with it what so ever. We have been swimming for almost 2 months and I have a 7 and 9 year old and had 2-7 year olds swim at parties with no problem.
It is colored all the way through so technically they could probably ease the edge a tad if u found it to be a problem.
Thank you for posting. Maybe I'm overthinking. Does the Onyx Black Raffinato coping get extremely hot?

We have been swimming for a couple of days now and the edges seem okay. I LOVE the look of the raffinate that I got sand have no regrets at this point. Hope I don't down the line! My daughter did get a scrap from the pebble on her leg though...

The onyx does get hot, it’s fine for coping, but I wouldn’t do a full pool deck with it. My son will hose it down quick and it’s fine. We really don’t stand or sit on coping as we have a splash pad and bench seats

Wow! I thought I was the only one with raffinato concerns. I haven’t been able to find anything else, because I want greyed nickel Do you mind posting photos? I know this is an old post, but any one that has raffinato in greyed nickel please post!
I was thinking of doing bluestone coping and greyed nickel deck, but the contrast might be too severe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi! We have had the pool for one summer and I have no regrets about the raffinato coping. I love it. I picked it because I wanted the pavers to match the coping in color and the pedimonte coping I was contracted for was a darker color. I agonized over what to use for a long time and it really helped to see the products in person.

I initially wanted the shale grey in blu 60 smooth but didn't like the brown running through it. The blu 60 greyed nickel is so pretty in person. It has subtle darker color variation going through it. I will say I like the color better when it is dry versus wet. It has more of a warm color when wet.

As for the sharpness of the edge, it has not been an issue at all. No complaints from my kids, who climb in and out across their stomachs. I frequently sit on the bench in the shallow end, leaning against the coping too. We have had several scraps from the pebble sheen though...

Here are some pictures and feel free to PM me if you have more questions about it.

20210715_100605.jpg

20210715_100637.jpg

20210802_190901.jpg

20210810_133707.jpg

Could you take some pictures of the inside top of edge of the coping, we ordered about 80 linear feet of the Rafinnati Smooth and it has an odd looking inset radius, our vendor doesnt know and not getting a response from techo bloc.

Thanks

The idea of hard stone as the finished edge of the coping, while beautiful looking, just makes me cringe from the safety standpoint. Currently I have wooden coping with vinyl covering, which needs replacing as it's old and ugly looking (lot's of upgrades to the pool area since we moved in two years ago!). And I've slipped twice while maintaining the pool on it during the pool season (to be fair, stone probably isn't as slippery). I slipped and had one leg go into the pool, and basically sat down hard, and bruised my upper leg/thigh. I could only imagine what would happen if that happened on stone. Possibly an ER or Urgent care trip.

We've recently replaced all our old boardwalk around the pool with concrete right up to the 8 inch coping. My plan is to remove the white vinyl and underlying boards, and use that liquid rubberized type of coping to finish our pool edge. I feel that the material is inherently much safer in the event of the inevitable fall or accident, especially if you are sometimes a klutz like me! Pool1.jpg

Could you take some pictures of the inside top of edge of the coping, we ordered about 80 linear feet of the Rafinnati Smooth and it has an odd looking inset radius, our vendor doesnt know and not getting a response from techo bloc.

Thanks
Hi! Just saw this message. I stopped getting alerts for some reason. I’ll take a picture and end it soon. My coping is 90 degree angles

Hi! We have had the pool for one summer and I have no regrets about the raffinato coping. I love it. I picked it because I wanted the pavers to match the coping in color and the pedimonte coping I was contracted for was a darker color. I agonized over what to use for a long time and it really helped to see the products in person.

I initially wanted the shale grey in blu 60 smooth but didn't like the brown running through it. The blu 60 greyed nickel is so pretty in person. It has subtle darker color variation going through it. I will say I like the color better when it is dry versus wet. It has more of a warm color when wet.

As for the sharpness of the edge, it has not been an issue at all. No complaints from my kids, who climb in and out across their stomachs. I frequently sit on the bench in the shallow end, leaning against the coping too. We have had several scraps from the pebble sheen though...

Here are some pictures and feel free to PM me if you have more questions about it.

View attachment 371123

View attachment 371124

View attachment 371125

View attachment 371126
thank for sharing your photos and experience with the blu 60 pavers and raffinato coping! the blu 60 smooth greyed nickel pavers are what we are looking to order just need to decide on coping! since the blu grande is not available I think we are going to go with the raffinato bit like some others, I was nervous with small kiddos! But it’s seems to be ok for you. Are you still happy with it? Do the colors match nicely? Any injuries? Thank you!

We all swam in my parents pool with red brick for coping, never had any issue with the sharp edges. Only injury I ever had was in another pool with pebble texture and it somehow scraped skin off my toes.

I am installing Raffinato coping in my pool as well, but I’m not happy with the edges and the overhang seems a bit too much… originally I told the contractor that we wanted Banas bullnose coping (type of natural stone) and they say they didn’t had in stock and they push for the Raffinato which we did the ok to avoid more delays… now wife is really unhappy with the coping because of the edges, the coping is attached with concrete, not sure how easy it will be to take it off and replace it with a new one without damaging the fiberglass pool. Anyone had a similar experience of removing an existing coping?IMG_2238.jpegIMG_2239.jpegIMG_2239.jpeg

I am installing Raffinato coping in my pool as well, but I’m not happy with the edges and the overhang seems a bit too much… originally I told the contractor that we wanted Banas bullnose coping (type of natural stone) and they say they didn’t had in stock and they push for the Raffinato which we did the ok to avoid more delays… now wife is really unhappy with the coping because of the edges, the coping is attached with concrete, not sure how easy it will be to take it off and replace it with a new one without damaging the fiberglass pool. Anyone had a similar experience of removing an existing coping?View attachment 526929View attachment 526930View attachment 526930
I had the same concern with Bluestone Coping and you are talking a huge expensive job to remove it. My pool cover guy used a polishing stone by hand and went around smoothed off the rough edge (wasn't a child concern as my kids are teens and know better but worried about slicing my deck mounted auto cover) and it is much much smoother now. I can run my finger along it and it feels much smoother. He used a DEP polishing stone and slowly rubbed the edge and it took the sharp edge off. Do it carefully and you will get a smoother edge. I too wished we had just used a radius or bull nose on the coping but the builder said no need. He was wrong.

Reactions: Rogercin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.