Converting to SWG. Opinions Please

Dakowals

Jul 11, 2022
Oakland Michigan
I have been a member since last year. New to owning a pool. This forum with the app helped loads getting my chemistry back on track from the previous owner. I highly regard this community and all of its members. That said, here is my current setup:

38k gallon gunite pool built in approximately 1995
Pentair 1hp single speed pump
New Hayward Tristar VS950 (Not installed yet/got a deal)
Pentair Tagelus TA-60D sand filter
Polaris booster pump for robot
Raypak 406A Heater (Brand New/ installed 2022)
3" puck style chlorine tab feeder
Pentair CVA actuators x4 (Not installed yet/got a deal)
2 skimmers, 1 floor drain, 1 booster port (on 1x3/4" feed), 3 feed ports (on 2x2" feeds)

With the new season coming, I really want to get the pool converted over to salt and add some automation. Initially I was headed towards chlorine/acid dosing pumps with tanks and ORP/PH Sensors. Started collecting components, and just decided to go SW. I plan on replumbing with some new valves and using the actuators for automation along with installing the new variable speed pump.

So, the question is this; I know I have some mixed components; but would like opinions on which brand system and size to go with for SWG. I am not worried within reason about budget but there are products which will give me great results and longevity. Also, how do I clean up this mess and make it look neat and tidy? I am considering pouring a slab to set all the components on. There is a 4 foot gap between my pool house and the components on the back side.

Any other recommendations for updating the system and for automation would be great.

Thanks you TFP.

Attachments

• 20220903_115557.jpg
    20220903_115557.jpg
    724.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20220730_191021.jpg
    20220730_191021.jpg
    925.6 KB · Views: 20
With a pool your size you will need a device that services 60,000 gallons. That often means Pentair IC-60, Circupool RJ-60 as those are the most common larger pool sized Salt Cells.
Check out this resource: www.discountsaltpool.com/Compare-Saltwater-Chlorine-Generator-Systems-for-Pools

You always want to buy at least 2x your pool's volume because the device's claim for FC production is if run 24/7 at full warp speed.

Your equipment pad can easily absorb a salt cell... after the heater, and you'll need to put a Jandy valve in to isolate the heater at times.

Maddie :flower:

Welcome to TFP.

What do you intend those 4 Pentair actuators you got a deal on to control with automation?

With a Hayward TriStar pump I think only Hayward automation will control it.

If you want the automation to control your SWG then you need to decide what you are doing there first.

A SWG does not need to be controlled by the automation.

Best to begin with the end in mind which it does not sounds like you have done with your deals.

BTW, what brand diverter valves do you have? Looks like Jandy. Jandy, Pentair, and Hayward use different screw threads in their diverters and actuators. Mismatched screw threads can cause cracking of the diverter screw holes which are plastic.

Reactions: proavia
With a pool your size you will need a device that services 60,000 gallons. That often means Pentair IC-60, Circupool RJ-60 as those are the most common larger pool sized Salt Cells.
Check out this resource: www.discountsaltpool.com/Compare-Saltwater-Chlorine-Generator-Systems-for-Pools

You always want to buy at least 2x your pool's volume because the device's claim for FC production is if run 24/7 at full warp speed.

Your equipment pad can easily absorb a salt cell... after the heater, and you'll need to put a Jandy valve in to isolate the heater at times.

Maddie :flower:
Thank you for the tip... I always like to oversize, but sometimes oversizing can be bad.... system dependent. Pentair is a large brand name I know and make great products, but I have never heard of Circupool. Are they quality products? Forgive me, am relatively new to the pool world.

Welcome to TFP.

What do you intend those 4 Pentair actuators you got a deal on to control with automation?

With a Hayward TriStar pump I think only Hayward automation will control it.

If you want the automation to control your SWG then you need to decide what you are doing there first.

A SWG does not need to be controlled by the automation.

Best to begin with the end in mind which it does not sounds like you have done with your deals.

BTW, what brand diverter valves do you have? Looks like Jandy. Jandy, Pentair, and Hayward use different screw threads in their diverters and actuators. Mismatched screw threads can cause cracking of the diverter screw holes which are plastic.
Thanks for the reply,
I'm an engineer and building my own automation system. It will most likely run on RasPi and be custom. No problems integrating different brand of equipment especially Hayward or any of the top brand SWG. I plan to replace the valves with new when I replumb, and go with the Pentair valves to match the Actuators. I do not have any water features, so my system is relatively simple. I would like to integrate an autofill system among other things, just wanted to get some suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.