Converting to salt tomorrow? Adjust target levels?

Texassaltpool

Dec 29, 2020
Leander, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are finally past our 30 day mark on the new plaster and they are turning on our SWG and adding salt tomorrow. I have been testing with the TF-100 pro kit and keeping our levels based on liquid chlorine and I noticed that the salt water ideal levels are pretty different. So my question is should we be adjusting tonight and tomorrow to ideal SWG levels before even turning it in? Or do we turn it on and adjust from there? Thanks!
I’ve attached today’s test log of that helps.

Attachments

• 5EE07625-23DB-455A-AA62-3DE9A670C393.jpeg
    5EE07625-23DB-455A-AA62-3DE9A670C393.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 7
In your climate you can raise your CYA a bit if you like. But as sun angle lowers, it is not as critical to get to 70+ppm CYA. You might even find your current CYA will work.

And add the salt and mix REALLY well at least a day before turning on the SWCG.

My suggestion would be to test for the current level of salt. Liquid chlorine does add some salt so you don’t want to over shoot your target.

Good to know! Pretty sure the pool guy that our builder sends over to turn on all the equipment was going to add salt and crank it on tomorrow. We will add salt brush and hold him off for a day.

Liquid chlorine adds some salt to your water, it is sodium hypochlorite. Personally, I would test for salt. You do have the TF-Pro kit. Doesn’t it come with the salt test?

I would not add all 10 bags, 400 lbs, is a lot of salt at one time.

Taylor K-1766 Salt Test is a key test to have… can usually get on amazon next day.

The problem with salt Is that once it’s there, there’s no removing it if you go over, miscalculate, etc. I’d add half the salt, get the test, then confirm exactly what you need.

Liquid chlorine adds some salt to your water, it is sodium hypochlorite. Personally, I would test for salt. You do have the TF-Pro kit. Doesn’t it come with the salt test?

I would not add all 10 bags, 400 lbs, is a lot of salt at one time.
Yes I have that kit. I’ll test for salt in the morning before we add. Is there a formula to figure out how many bags of salt somewhere? I’m using the pool math app but I don’t see that option.

Reactions: reggiehammond

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.