Converting to salt, just order Circupool CORE35!

Just a little update...I added 240lbs of salt. As of this afternoon, I was sitting at 3000ppm. I just turned on the SWG for the first time and set to 75%. Will be monitoring it over the next several weeks to see how it changes. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! I really appreciate it.

On a side note... I know every pool is different and there are a number of different variables.... but does anyone have a pool pump run guide or template when utilizing a VS pump and SWG. I've tried doing research on it but haven't found much. Not looking for an exact answer, but just a starting point and guide on how much to run the pump, best time to run it, % when it is running, etc.

Just a little update...I added 240lbs of salt. As of this afternoon, I was sitting at 3000ppm. I just turned on the SWG for the first time and set to 75%. Will be monitoring it over the next several weeks to see how it changes. Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions! I really appreciate it.

On a side note... I know every pool is different and there are a number of different variables.... but does anyone have a pool pump run guide or template when utilizing a VS pump and SWG. I've tried doing research on it but haven't found much. Not looking for an exact answer, but just a starting point and guide on how much to run the pump, best time to run it, % when it is running, etc.
I got a separate SWG timer (T-104) and ran the two clocks in series so the pump timer would remain in sync with the pump timer. So when the pump timer was on, the pump was running, and the SWG timer was energized W/240 so that when the SWG timer arms tripped the SWG turned on during the "pump on" cycle.
I got one to sell :)

Attachments

• Intermec dual timer Set up (2019_01_25 14_52_33 UTC).jpg
    Intermec dual timer Set up (2019_01_25 14_52_33 UTC).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 10
For the VSP and setting the generator:

The real key is to have adequate flow to ensure the flow switch is engaged. That was at about 1000 RPM for my Universal 40 in a vertical configuration (I assume you installed in a horizontal since you have a Core, you could probably get away with a slightly slower speed in that configuration). I was running at 900 RPM previously, and settled for 1500 RPM based on the maybe 30W more it draws than the 1000 RPM setting.

The the next consideration is how long you have to run to get enough chlorine per day.

In my case I went from running 3 hours at 3000 RPM in the morning and running about 6 hours in the afternoon (this is the way the setup guy programmed it) to running 2 hours at 3000 RPM and 12 at 1000... I still might change the latter to 10 hours. This was at 30% on the Universal 40 (which is rated 2.0 lbs/day).

Pool Math has both of our our cells in the effects of adding calculation. If you have been doing TFP and you know the exact amount of bleach you were using, You can take that and get the amount of FC you were adding every day to get your needed FC/day. Then you can work it from there.

For example, I almost always cover my pool with a solar cover. My Universal 40 is a 2.0/lb a day unit. This when put into "effects of adding SWG" in pool math and selecting my model means I am producing 3 PPM FC per day. This is about right since I leave the pool covered most of the time. If I were going to go uncovered I already know the FC loss is more like 5 PPM... so I could turn up the unit to 50% or I could let the pump run 24 hrs. It would obviously be more energy efficient to turn up the SWCG and this is a big reason why you want to oversize.

Lets use your numbers. 18K pool, Core-35 generator 1.4 lbs/day. Lets assume you need 4 PPM a day... IF you ran it 24 hours a day 100%, Your FC will go up by 9.3 PPM. So-- I don't remember the increments a Core 35 will go in... but get it close to these percentages... at 43%/24 hrs a day you'll make that 4.0 PPM day. If you want to run like me at 14 hours a day (to get a couple hours after the sun goes down), then you run the SWCG at close to 74% for the 14 hours to get the same FC rise of 4.0 PPM/day. And combination like that would work. At 100% you should run about 10.5 hours for 4 FC...etc...

Hopefully that clarifies this. You do need flow, so like I said 1000-1500 RPM is about right to be on the safe side... but your options are of how long to run and output percentage.

So for my pool: I could get the same results if I ran the SWCG for 5.5 hours at 100% in my pool but generally there are advantages to having it generate throughout the daylight hours. I go a little after to kick up the FC just a bit in the night time... completely up to you how you set it up and except that I think it's preferable to have it generating in the day. (There are people who don't because of higher daytime electric rates and they still work!)

How are you using a timer on the Core? It has a power cord doesn't it? I put a plug on my Edge and just use a basic smart plug..I am curious if the Core is like the Edge and draws more amps as you turn the amount of Ch up
I run my pump on the lowest setting I can get away 24/7 and my SWG stays on also.
Started with 2/8 bars but had to bump to 3/8 when it got warmer so kind of trial and error

It looks to be the same switching power supply type unit. Unlike mine that is either 100% on or it's 100% off. So if that is the case then you will get even more of a consistent generation over it's run time. And thanks for reminding me it's eighths.. so 43%--- closest is 3/8 or 4/8 for the whole day run. For the 14 hour run example, 6/8 .... in my examples above. I think all Circupool units can be set for 120V or 240V, I run mine with a digital wall timer switch at 120V just fine. You should run it on a timer if you are not, as a secondary protection measure if the flow switch fails.

It looks to be the same switching power supply type unit. Unlike mine that is either 100% on or it's 100% off. So if that is the case then you will get even more of a consistent generation over it's run time. And thanks for reminding me it's eighths.. so 43%--- closest is 3/8 or 4/8 for the whole day run. For the 14 hour run example, 6/8 .... in my examples above. I think all Circupool units can be set for 120V or 240V, I run mine with a digital wall timer switch at 120V just fine. You should run it on a timer if you are not, as a secondary protection measure if the flow switch fails.
They auto adjust to the voltage which is nice.
I almost bought the core, so easy to install!
FYI I read Discount salt sells a cap for the Core so you can remove the insides and make it into a bypass

So I've had the Core35 up and running now for close to 2 weeks. Here are my current tests as of last night. I ended up having to add 9 40lb bags of salt. Started initially with 6 then slowly added the extra in every few days to get salt levels up. I had the SWG set to 75% and lowered it down to 50% a few days ago. If FC levels stay about the same, should I lower to 25%? I think I may also play with some of the timers on my VS pump to lower the speed/time so it is not running as much.

FC: 10
CC: .2
PH: 7.6
CYA: 85
TA: 120
CH: 80
Salt: 3600

Does the Core have 8 bars for power? If so you can try 3 vs 4 but it takes a few days to adjust. I learned the hard way even though 3 is min stay above 5 :) I was going for the least amount and started having problems so now keep mine around 5.5

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After dropping to 25% on the SWG, FC came in at 4.5. So I am going to kick it back up to 50% then adjust the pump timers so they are not running as much. Not dialed in yet, but getting close! But overall very happy I made the switch.
My final straw on getting one was last time I opened the bucket of tablets my eyes burned for several minutes and I even opened it and stepped back.

Reactions: frankofiore
Yeah, I run mine at 30% (I can adjust in 1% increments with the Universal) now for 14 hours a day and still end up around 8.0 FC. I should drop it down more.. but man the water looks good for me only having to add a cup of 34% acid once every nine days or so..... I should lower the pump time to 12 I suppose and will now that the days are starting to get shorter. :( I think maybe Circupool underrates their cells a little which is a respectable thing to do as a reputable company... I should be running 40% on mine to get 8.0 with the pool's volume according to pool math. I do like to run at the high end of the TFP range for the CYA level, and 8 is it, though....

So I am not surprised that you are lowering the output. Most of us seem to. I am glad it's all working for you. Enjoy it.

Yeah, I run mine at 30% (I can adjust in 1% increments with the Universal) now for 14 hours a day and still end up around 8.0 FC. I should drop it down more.. but man the water looks good for me only having to add a cup of 34% acid once every nine days or so..... I should lower the pump time to 12 I suppose and will now that the days are starting to get shorter. :( I think maybe Circupool underrates their cells a little which is a respectable thing to do as a reputable company... I should be running 40% on mine to get 8.0 with the pool's volume according to pool math. I do like to run at the high end of the TFP range for the CYA level, and 8 is it, though....

So I am not surprised that you are lowering the output. Most of us seem to. I am glad it's all working for you. Enjoy it.
Thanks! Appreciate all the help!

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.